Monday, April 26, 2010

There's Treasure in this Field

Matthew 13:44
The Kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which someone found and hid; then in his joy he goes and sells all that he had and buys that field.


On Kirk Franklin’s “Sunday’s Best,” Donnie McClurkin and Mary Mary search the world over looking for the next great voice in gospel music. They go through person after person from Nigeria all the way to New Orleans looking for the person with the voice and the “look.” Last night’s episode featured a woman who had been evicted, her personal belongings had been put out on the street in bags and all she had were the clothes on her back with some flip flops auditioning for Sunday’s best. She sang, “This is the day the Lord has made.” When she sang that song hair stood up on the back of my neck and my spirit leaped. Erica of Mary Mary jumped up, her sister Tina threw up her hands, and the often reluctant to give anybody praise, Donny McClurkin couldn’t contain himself. Erica told the woman, “Normally I write the numbers down of people who have the look, I didn’t write your number down because you had on them flip flops with white socks but when you started singing I had to write your number down you are Sunday’s Best!”

Virtually, the woman looked like a lost cause but inside she was a virtuous woman. That woman represents so many of us who are automatically devalued by the opinions of other people because of situations beyond our control but yet they overlook the treasure that is within us. Maybe that’s what Paul was talking about in 2 Corinthians 4: 7But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. 8We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair;

Oftentimes, we are overlooked because of the way we appear without people noticing the treasure inside. From outward appearance I don’t hold much value, but don’t sleep on me, inside I got Treasure!

Don’t be so quick to write people off or communities off just because they don’t look like they have value, there is treasure in here. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

Jesus talks about a man who discovers treasure in a piece of land. He could have taken the treasure and left, but instead, he sold all he had to take possession of the land. When you encounter God you don’t want a piece of it, you want all of it. I never understood Guy's song, “you can have a piece of my love,” If I find something authentically valuable, I don’t want a piece I want all of it. I think we have been too content giving pieces of our treasure away without purchasing the whole field.

When we encounter God there ought to be an exchange of what you have for what is truly valuable.

When we buy the whole field to get the treasure three things take place:

1. It’s a shifting of priority. The discovery of treasure in this field means that there is a chance that there might be more in this field. But in order to obtain the treasure I need to secure the field. what was a passing revelation is now a priority of preoccupation.

2. A shift from small beginnings to cosmic impact. You must be able to see something small and see how it has a greater impact. What treasure in this field is worth you risking everything you got to obtain it. If there is no treasure that will make a cosmic impact don’t waste your time.

3. Wholehearted commitment. Whatever you see value in is what you ought to invest in. Wherever your heart is, is where your treasure is. You should invest where your heart is. Jesus said, “do not store up for yourself treasure on earth…but store up in heaven.” If what you are investing in does not have Kingdom impact then you are wasting your money.

In order to obtain the treasure you have to buy the field. The excuse is that I don’t have the money. The reality is that you do have the money, you just have to modify your lifestyle to get it. We buy what we want to buy. We might have to get rid of some stuff to purchase what is really valuable. In order for my child to go to college I might have to sell my old school car so they can learn. In order to buy my first house I might have to sell my luxury car and get a small economy car from the auction. I might have to stop going out to the club and use that money to go back to school.

Dear God, I’m ready to buy the field. You’ve shown me the treasure now give me the heart to buy this field that other people have overlooked. If they knew the treasure that was in it they never would have passed it up. Thank you God for Jesus for He’s just a jewel that I have found. Now I’m buying the whole field!

In Jesus Name,

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment