Monday, March 28, 2011

It's Time to Grow Up!

I Corinthians 13:11

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I though like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I pout childish ways behind me.

There comes a time, in every man's life

When he get's tired of foolin' around

Juggling hearts in a three-ring circus

Someday will drive a body down to the ground

I never imagined that love would rain on me

And make me want to settle down

Jesus it's true, I think I do

And I just wanna tell you that I wanna with you (*Jesus, if you do too)

And *Jesus, if you do too

Forever, forever, *Jesus I want you forever

I wanna keep you for the rest of my life (you can make right)

All that is wrong in my world (you are my saviour)

You can make right (you are my light)

You are my saviour, you are my light (forever I want you in my life)

Forever I want you in my life

Prince, Forever in my life

*I replaced Baby with Jesus

In our growth as human beings there comes a point in our lives when our knowledge catches up with our spirit and we grow. Knowledge means that you Know the Ledge on which you are standing on and take the necessary leap to get to the next level. In the natural order of life, we grow through different stages embryo, fetus, baby, toddler, child, adolescent, young adult, middle age and senior. Somewhere in the middle or hopefully before, we also grow spiritually and intellectually. What is a tragedy is that you make it through all the physical stages but never grow in wisdom. When Jesus was twelve it says he continued to grow in wisdom, stature, and favor with men. Paul said, “when I became a man or adult I put childish ways behind me.”

At what point do we become adults? When do we grow up? Some Psychologists say that values are set by the time we are 17. People who become Christians at an early age are more likely to mature as disciples. The older a person gets the less likely they are to receive Christ because their values become set during adolescents. Other studies have revealed that the right lobe of the brain has not fully matured until around 26 or 27. Young people can’t make rational decisions effectively because they don’t see the big picture they are more impulsive. I thought I was grown at 21 but I really knew more at 31 but I grew wiser at 41. The point is that all of us should be in the process of growing up. How do you know when you’ve reached adulthood? It’s not when you are sweet 16 or 21.

You become an adult when:

You can apply the knowledge you’ve learned in life
When your emotional maturity matches your physical maturity
When you can see the big picture, the vision God has for your life and make adjustments that lead to the fulfillment for God’s will in your life.
When you can tell your body what to do instead of your body telling you what to do.
When you become a disciple of Jesus and put childish ways behind you.
When the way you Love people matches the love expressed in I Cor. 13
When People see Jesus instead of you.

Dear God, thank you for growing me up. I’m still maturing and I can see just how far I’ve grown. Continue to mature my mind and expand my vision. I don’t want to ever stop growing in wisdom and in my favor.

In Jesus Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment