Monday, August 22, 2011

I Can't Keep Doing This!

I John 3:9

No one who is born of God will continue to sin because God’s seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God.


When you are born again, God places a deposit inside of you. It is the gift of the Holy Spirit. God then begins his redemptive work that was set in motion by Jesus dying for us on the cross. Old things have passed away and behold all things should be new. We must work out our soul’s salvation every day. That’s why Jesus taught us to pray daily, “Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.” Even when we are saved and give our lives to serve Jesus we are still prone to drift. What keeps us is God’s seed and his inner voice.

If you truly belong to God and you have been born again there is the seed of God’s Spirit and his word inside of you and it will not leave you alone. The old folk’s use to sing, “What is this that makes me feel so good inside, what is this that makes me want to love my enemies, what is this that makes me want to do right when I want to do wrong, whatever it is I don’t want it to leave me alone.”

John says, ‘You can’t go on sinning if God’s seed is in you.’ God’s seed is the Holy Spirit which nurtures the word of God when we hear it. When John says, “We can’t go on sinning if we belong to God”, he doesn’t mean that you won’t make mistakes after you get saved. The Writer of Romans tells us that ‘all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God.’ What it means is that when we find ourselves off course the Holy Spirit will help us to “Recalculate”.

Whenever I drive out of town, I like using my GPS. If I make a wrong turn the ‘Voice’ of the GPS says, "Recalculating”. The Voice is trying to get me back in the right direction but I have to choose to listen to the Voice. It’s not that God doesn’t speak to us, it’s that we don’t listen. If you belong to God you can’t keep ignoring his Voice. What is it that God is trying to get you out of that you keep ignoring his Voice? You have to get out before you miss your exit.

Dear God,

Help us to hear you loud and clear today. We can’t keep doing this! You’ve been too good to us to jeopardize our lives by heading in the wrong direction. Today, I’m going to recalculate my life’s plan to make sure that I’m following your voice.

In Jesus Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment