Thursday, October 13, 2011

What Are You Devoted To?

Acts 2:42

They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.


Devote--to give or apply (one's time, attention or self) entirely to a particular activity, pursuit, cause or person.

We are so spread thin today with so many things claiming our attention. So much so, that we need reminders to remind us of what we need to be reminded of. Life used to be so simple. We went from one phone in the house to every person in the family with a cell phone. We went from one TV with a few stations to multiple TVs and computers with multiple channels and viewing options. With all of these distractions it's hard to be focused on just one thing but we must be devoted to something. What is the one thing that you give all of your time, atteniton and self to?

Athletes are devoted to their sport of choice. Doctors are devoted to their specific fields of medicine. Teachers are devoted to educating their students. What are you devoted to? What is it in your life that requires for you to give all of your attention, time and self to so that you can be the best at what it is that God has called you to? What has all your attention at any given time? Who gets the most of you?

As a growing Christian we should be devoted to:

1. The Apostles teaching...we should make sure that we are devoted to learning more about God's word from those who are sent by God. Every morning I devote some time for the Holy Spirit to teach me through God's word. Every day you should devote time to God's word and every week find a bible believing church where God's sent one can pour into you through preaching/teaching.

2. The Fellwoship...We should be a part of a Growth Group. At New Direction, we have small group bible studies on Tuesday nights so that people can fellowship while they learn. Fellowship is simply spending time in relationship with other Christians who are trying to Experience, Be Empowered, and Engage in Missions.

3. Breaking Bread...is not just eating togetehr but also the sacred act of remembering Jesus' sacrifice every time we come together. A lot of these meetings took place in the homes of believers. We should devote time to building relationships and spending time in each other's sacred space.

4. Prayer...We need to devote time to praying for each other and with each other. Jesus said, "Where two or three are gathered together touching and agreeing, there I will be in the midst of them." How much time do you devote to prayer? Prayer is really the only thing that keeps us growing in God. Prayer is our power souce. One Week without prayer makes One Weak.

Dear God,

I devote myself to you this morning. I'm going to make sure that every day you get more of my time, attention and self. Too many things have had me spread thin but I want to shift my attention to you and devote myself so that I can grow to the next level of discipleship. Today, I cut out any distractions that are pulling me away from my allegiance to you. I'm devoted to you Jesus!

In Jesus Name I pray,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment