Tuesday, May 28, 2013

You Can't Help A Hater

Proverbs 9:8-9
It’s a waste of time to try to help people that don’t want to be helped.

I believe it was Jesus who said, “Don’t cast your pearls amongst swine.” Your pearls represent the wisdom of God and there are people whom God wants us to share our wisdom with and there are those that God says we shouldn’t waste our time on.

I was fishing with a young man yesterday who was 23 years old but he had wisdom way beyond his years. He had been through so much early in his life: a mother addicted to drugs, left alone to fending for himself, eating out of garbage cans, left homeless due to Hurricane Katrina, got a scholarship to college, learned many trades to survive. He told my son Jordan who is 13, “Listen to everything your daddy tells you, that’s how you learn.”

I think a precondition to gaining wisdom is brokenness and humility. This young started with nothing but had gained much more than silver and gold, he had wisdom.

The writer of Proverbs warns his son to not give instruction or warning to a mocker. A mocker is a person who causes repeated emotional pain, distress, or annoyance to another. In other words they are foolish! When you try to instruct them they will hate you.

Instead of wasting your time on them look for people who are already open to receive. Look for:
  1. A wise person. A wise man who’s rebuked will love you. They must have a healthy fear of the Lord before they can receive instruction.
  2. They grow from the Instruction you give them. If there is no return from your instruction then stop instructing.
  3. Teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning. The little you give them will be built on by what they go out to get themselves.
Dear God,

Show me today who I should invest my time into and who I should stop wasting my time with. Time is precious and I want to invest it in someone who is hungry for wisdom and knowledge. Don’t let me cast my pearls amongst fools.

In Jesus Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment