Monday, August 12, 2013

How Do I Build Endurance

Jeremiah 12:5
If you have raced with men on foot and they have worn you out, how can you compete with horses?


My son Jordan wants to try out for the wrestling team and decided he would run the neighborhood to get into shape. I told him that running the neighborhood twice would be equivalent to 3 miles. He put on his sneakers, ear plugs, iPod and set out for his run. I looked out the window 15 minutes later and he was sitting at the end of our driveway. 5 minutes later he came in the house. He smiled and said, ‘How do you build up endurance?” I said, “By continuing to run even when you are hurting or don’t feel like it.”
My son thought he was just going to go out and run 3 miles the first time out. I admire his ambition but like many of us he wanted to run with the horses but had not mastered running with men.
The race is not given to the swift or to the strong but to those who endure to the end.
How do you build up our endurance?
  1. Learn how to suffer. Romans 5:3-4 Not only so, but we[a] also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. If we learn how to make it through our sufferings then we can move to the next step of spiritual growth and conditioning of the soul. Often times in conditioning there is a saying, “No pain no gain,” meaning that pain is part of the process of getting stronger.
  2.  Lay aside every weight we have to get rid of everything that will get in the way of us getting stronger. Hebrews 12:. 1Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God...
  3. 3. Disciplining my body to make it obedient to my goals. When you are training it is often times a battle of your mind over your body.  You have got to win that fight.

    1 Corinthians 9:26-27
26-27 I don’t know about you, but I’m running hard for the finish line. I’m giving it everything I’ve got. No sloppy living for me! I’m staying alert and in top condition. I’m not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself.
Dear God,

Help me to finish the race and fight the good fight of faith. Give me the ability to endure suffering like a good soldier so that I can compete at a high level and give you Glory in the way that I live my life. All I want to do is hear you say well done.

In Jesus Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment