Monday, May 4, 2009

What R U Bringing To The Table?



2 Samuel 9:13

So Mephibosheth dwelt in Jerusalem, for he ate continually at the king’s table, and he was lame in both his feet.

In order to be on high powered teams, elite organizations, and with people in high places you have to bring something to the table. What gifts, resources, or talents do you possess that make you worthy to sit round the king’s table? Whether it’s the young executives fighting to be the next Apprentice to Donald Trump or the ambitious young entrepreneurs wanting to work for Diddy, at the end of the day, they better be bringing something to the table in order to get a seat.

What do you do when you are talented but lame? What do you do when half of you is royal and the other half can’t move? The other day the practice structure caved in on the Dallas Cowboys injuring several young players but paralyzing their Scout from the waist down. My prayers go out to them all for healing, but I couldn’t help but to wonder as good as this scout is, will Jerry Jones still have room at the table for this young man? Up top, he can still reason, call, recruit, but at the bottom he’s lame for now.

David wanted to now if there was anybody left of the House of Saul he could bring around the table. David had made a promise to Saul’s son Jonathan, his BFF, that he would be kind to his offspring if anything happened to him. So David inquired, ‘Is there anybody left from the house of Saul?’ Sometimes it feels like we are the only ones left from our house who had not been consumed by dysfunction, addiction, and death but barely. Mephibosheth was a son of Jonathan, but when Saul and Jonathan were killed, Mephibosheths nurse held him in her arms as she fled. She fell with him and accidently crippled him for life. Who is it that dropped you while they were carrying you and it is still affecting you?

David called Mephibosheth to his table and Mephibosheth, MO for short, said to him, "Why would you want a dead dog like your servant around the table?” Have you ever wondered how you made it around the table? Have you ever been sitting in staff meeting with everybody else and wondered to yourself, "How did I make it in here???” Sure I studied. Sure I work hard, but if they only know how lame I still am, how much I don’t know, they might not want me at this table.

David never told MO why but we know it was because of David’s relationship with Mo’s father. That’s the only reason he sat at David’s table the rest of his life and he had somebody to work the land, residual income that David gave back to him. David restored the land that belonged to his father back to MO, eventhough he was lame in both feet. Above the table he looked like everybody else below the table, he was lame. What did he bring to the table?

1. His Heritage. He was the son of Jonathan, David’s BFF (Best Friend Forever). Because of the covenant David made with Jonathan, MO was invited to the table even though he was lame. When we have relationship with the Son of God, God invites us to the table in spite of our lameness, our sin.

2. His Hurt. He was lame but he was still allowed to sit at the table. All of us have our issues that should have kept us away from the table, but grace allowed us to come anyway.

3. His humility. Even though he was royal, he knew he didn’t have to sit at the King’s table. David could have killed him as a threat to his new cabinet. MO came in with humility and asked, "why me? Why would you want a dead dog like me?" When we are invited to the table we ought to keep our humility.

4. His Harvest. David restored MO’s inheritance, his father’s land, back to him. And he asked Ziba and his sons to work it for him. The food that MO ate at the king’s table was some of the harvest from his own field. The people had to pay tribute to the king by sharing some of their harvest with him. Mephibosheth might have been lame but he was not broke. He might have been disabled, but he was not delinquent. He didn’t have a welfare mentality. He shared his harvest.

Dear God, thank you for bringing me to the table even though I was lame in some areas. My relationship with your son got me here. I don’t deserve to be here. I’m not talented enough but because Jesus loved me, you invited me to sit around your table for eternity. Thank you for making a banquet table in the presence of my enemies. Thank you for the residual income and for giving me a harvest. Now I give back to you all the gifts you’ve given me to show you how much I appreciate sitting around your table. Thank you for letting me sit down.

In Jesus Name.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment