Thursday, February 11, 2010

Speak and Do Not Be Silent

Acts 18:9-10
One night the Lord said to Paul in a vision, “Do not be afraid, but speak and do not be silent. For I am with you, and no one will lay a hand on you to harm you, for there are many in this city who are my people.


It can be frustrating at times when you’ve been called to preach and you run into resistance over and over again. When people are lying and wishing bad against you sometimes you just want to stop talking. Jeremiah felt it as God’s prophet when other false prophets came against him, city officials came against him, Jeremiah told God, ‘I’m not saying anything else, but when he tried to keep silent God’s Word was like fire shut up in his bones. You can’t shut up when there is fire shut up in your bones!

Paul was no stranger to antagonism in the field of ministry. The Bible says when he was in Corinth the people opposed and reviled him. Paul must have gotten discouraged and disappointed because God shows up with a pep talk, “Do not be afraid but speak and do not be silent.” When God gives you something to say you can’t shut up no matter what the people say I can’t let go. I know in whom I have believed and I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ for it is the Power unto salvation!”

This is why I can’t shut up:

1. For I am with you says the Lord. As a messenger of God I have the comfort of knowing that he is with me and greater is he that in me than he that is in the world.

2. No one will lay a hand on you or harm you. The bible says, “touch not my anointed do my prophet no harm.”

3. For there are many in this city who are my people. Greater are those that are with us than are with them. On one occasion, Elisha was surrounded by an Army because he had been revealing the secrets of the enemy king. What he spoke in the bedroom Elisha would tell to the King of Israel. When they came to surround the house of Elisha his servant freaked out. But Elisha said in 2 Kings 6:16-17 (New International Version)

16 "Don't be afraid," the prophet answered. "Those who are with us are more than those who are with them."
17 And Elisha prayed, "O LORD, open his eyes so he may see." Then the LORD opened the servant's eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.

Dear God, give me the boldness to speak all the more even in the face of opposition. Let me hear you above everyone else. Stay close to me so I can have the confidence to speak through opposition. I will not shut up or give up until I go up.

In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment