Thursday, February 4, 2010

Unintentional Sin



Psalm 19:12 But who can detect their unintentional sin? Clear me from hidden faults.

Sin is not just when we do wrong but it is also when we fail to do what is right. We spend so much time dodging the big sins of commission like sex, murder, and stealing but we fail to recognize the hidden sins, the sins of omission (stuff we are supposed to do).

We’ve all broken commandments like, “do unto others as you would have them do unto you,” or Love your neighbor as yourself,” or “pray for your enemies.” Just because we don’t smoke, chew, or screw or talk to others that do, doesn’t mean we are righteous. All have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God.

David asked a good question, “Who can detect their sins of omission or their unintentional sins? Every day there are opportunities to do what God is prompting you to do and we miss it unintentionally by shrugging it off as a suggestion and not a commandment. For example the Holy Sprit prompts you to witness to a co-worker at lunch but you ignore him and keep talking without sharing Jesus, that’s unintentional sin.

The remedy to hidden sin is when David asks God to, ‘clear me from hidden faults.’ In Memphis, TN our city lays on one of the greatest fault lines in the United States. If an Earthquake were to hit it would be devastating. I serve on a team of pastors who are already planning for disaster relief if and when it happens.

What fault lines are underneath your character that you are maybe unaware of right now that could lead to a moral meltdown or an ethical earthquake? You should get a team of people in your life that can help you with hidden faults. God’s Word is the only sure thing that can reveal your hidden faults. David said, “I have hidden your Word in my heart that I might not sin against you.”

1. Read the Word of God daily.
2. Get a copy of my book “U-Turn, 12 Step Guide to Spiritual Transformation” from
www.fillingstationbookstore.com so you can journal daily
3. Ask people you love and trust to show you your hidden faults.
4. Pray to God to reveal them to you.

Dear God, show me my hidden faults. Cast the light of your Word on potential areas in my life that could be disastrous. Forgive me for unintentional sins when I could’ve done good but instead did nothing.

In Jesus Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment