Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Sharpen Your Ax

Ecclesiastes 10:10
If the ax is dull and its edge unsharpened more strength is needed but skill will bring success


We waste a lot of effort by chopping wood with dull axes. Maybe you haven’t chopped any wood lately but you’ve probably used a knife that wasn’t very sharp and it took more effort to cut because it was dull.

It makes more sense to keep your tools sharp so that when you use them you can work more efficiently. The ax in this proverb is symbolic of us. We have to make sure we stay razor sharp so that when we are called upon we can be effective.

We’ve all heard somebody ask us while we were working, “you working hard?” There are usually two responses:

a. No I’m hardly working b. I’m working smart not hard
When you don’t spend time sharpening your skills no matter how hard you work you are hardly working. But when you continue to improve you skills you are working smart not hard.

How do I sharpen my ax?

1. Continued education. Whether you are at your house or Morehouse study to show yourself approved. You may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but don’t be the dullest either.

2. Read a book a week. There’s too much knowledge available for us to remain dull. Read something whether it be on the Internet, magazine, or newspaper. Reading is fundamental.

3. Staying current with world news. You want to make yourself aware of current events so you can be sharp in your dialogue with others.

4. Exercising 3 times a week. Get your heart rate up for at least 30 minutes three times a week. Exercise keeps your body healthy and your mind sharp.

5. Praying/Devotion every morning. When you are spiritually alert it keeps you sharp and ready to defeat the enemy. The word of God is sharper than a two-edge sword. Stay sharp.

6. Practice your craft. The greatest NBA players have a regimen that is beyond what is expected. It’s been said that ‘practice makes perfect but instead perfect practice makes perfect.

7. Hanging with sharp people. As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another. Make sure you hang with people whose gifts are as strong or stronger than yours to keep you sharp.

Dear God
Help me to stay sharp. Surround me with people who challenge me to do my best. Everyday give me the discipline to prepare my body to be an effective tool for ministry to be the sharpest knife in the drawer by preparing my mind, body, and spirit. Keep me sharp so I can be effective for you.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment