Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Is It Good for You?

I Corinthians 6:12

Someone will say, "I am allowed to do anything," yes but not everything is good for you. I could say that I am allowed to do anything, but I am not going to let anything make me its slave.


The late, great Heavy D had a song that asked, "Is it good to you?" It was a love song where the overweight lover Heavy D kept asking his love interest, 'Is it good to you?' It's an important question that every husband ought to ask his wife but it's not a great question to ask yourself. Too many people are stuck on this question and it seems to be the prevailing question of this generation who seem to be driven by pleasure, 'Is it good to you?" But if you are drven by purpose the question ought to be, "Is it good for you?" Because what's good to you may not be good for you.

America is the land of the free and the home of the slave. We are free to do whatever we want to do but in doing so we have become a slave to our compulsivity. I found out yesterday that 89% of HIV cases in Memphis, TN are African Americans, and 27% of those are black women. We are one of the most unhealhtiest cities with sedentary lifestyles and obesity. We have good food but many times it just ain't good for you. We are also one of the higest cities who have a high incident of bankruptcy. Some of us have made some good money but we haven't done good with our money.

Sex, food and money are not bad in themselves but it's what and how we use them that determines if they are good for us.

1. Sex--Sexual Immorality is sex outside of marriage. Sexual integrity is when you are fulfilled by your spouse only. Sexual sin is the only sin that does damage to the body spiritually and physically. Our bodies are the temple of the Holy Sprit and your spouse is the only high priest ordained to come in.

2. Food--food is not all about how good it taste but it's about how good it is for you. What is the nutritional value of what you're eating? What is the caloric intake you are supposed to eat everyday for maximum health benefits? How much exercise do you need to maintain good health.

3. Money--Money is not the root of all evil but the LOVE of money is the root of all evil. It's hard for the rich to enter into heaven. They are slaves to their money.

You are free to do whatever you want to do. You are a grown person but if you really want to live the abundant life that Jesus has for you then you have to change your question from, "Is it good to you?" to "Is it good for me?"

Dear God,

Thank you for helping me to change my question. I want to be pleasing and acceptable to you before I please myself. I would rather please you than be caught up trying to please people. Give me the discipline to do what is good for me and not just what is good to me. Lead me today into what is good for me.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment