Wednesday, May 2, 2012

It's Time to Straighten Up

It’s Time to Straighten Up
Psalm 106:43-45
Many times he delivered them, but they were bent on rebellion and they wasted away in their sin.

My Dad was telling me about how hard he used to work in the tobacco fields as a young man. He would go down the row and pick suckers off the tobacco plants two rows at a time, sixteen rows total, until he finished. By the time he was finished he said, “I couldn’t straighten up! I had to walk all the way home bent over. I don’t know why I was so ‘bent’ on getting it done.”

Why do we work so hard, drive so hard, for something that’s going to leave us bent over in pain? Why are we so hell bent on something that leaves us hurting in the end? At the end of the day nothing is worth being bent over if I can’t straighten up.

God delivered us so many times but we are bent on some route that leaves us in bad shape. We are like that woman that Jesus met who was bent over for 18 years, she couldn’t straighten up. Jesus said, “Woman you are set free from your infirmity.” Then he put his hands on her and immediately she straightened up and praised God.” (Luke 13:11-12)

How do we straighten up?
1. Remember all the things that God has done for you and what you have to lose.
2. Surrender to the Lordship of Jesus Christ.
3. Confess your sins to God.
4. Accept the grace and forgiveness of God.
5. Walk upright in the commandments of God.

Dear God,

My deepest desire is to straighten up so you can get Glory out of my life. Please forgive me for having a one track mind and get back on the path of righteousness so that I can finish the work you have for me to do.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment