Thursday, November 1, 2012

Be Careful of What You Asked For

Mark 10:38

“You don’t know what you are asking.” Jesus said, “Can you drink the cup I drink or be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with?”

Everything looks easy to do until you have to do it. It’s a dangerous thing to want what somebody has without realizing what he or she had to do to get it. As humans, we have a propensity to want what other people have. That’s why God had to warn us in the ten commandments not to covet or lust for anything our Neighbor has. Exodus 20:17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.” [1]

We want what our neighbor has but we don’t know what our neighbor went through to get it and if we did we might not want it. You don’t know what you are asking for.

Michael Jackson lived a tortured existence; lamenting his childhood, imprisoned by his own success, every gold record that glittered wasn’t good. With all he accomplished, Michael didn’t seem to get to enjoy it much. He was the King of Pop but he died alone.

Jesus was the King of Kings, and his disciples wanted to share his Glory without knowing his story. James and John wanted to set on his right and left when he came into his Glory. They thought Jesus was going to rule an earthly King and be popular, they didn’t know his throne would be in Heaven and that he would have to go through hell to get there. Jesus asked them, “do you know what you are asking for?!” There are two things you should consider:

  1. Can you drink the cup I’m going to drink from? The cup Jesus was talking about was his cup of suffering which included betrayal, suffering, loneliness, persecution, abandonment, and death. Those who are most anointed by God are the ones who experience the most suffering. Suffering with Christ is an honor and we must all suffer with him but he’s the only one that can drink his cup; make sure you drink from your cup not somebody else’s.
  2. Can you be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with? Jesus would be baptized in the excruciating fire of crucifixion. The pain was unimaginable. We all have our baptism through fire. There are trials that we will experience on our way to our purpose but only Jesus can bear the cross of salvation. Carry your cross but not the one that Jesus alone could bear.
Everybody wants to go to Heaven but nobody wants to die.

Dear God,

Help me to live my life with my eyes on the plan you have for my life and not the script for someone else’s. I believe you will not put more on me than I can bear. I receive the plan you have for my life and I am ready to drink from my cup and carry my cross but I thank you for what you’ve already accomplished for me. You get all the Glory because you took my place on the cross and you drank my cup.

I love you Jesus!

Amen


[1] The Holy Bible : New International Version. electronic ed. Grand Rapids : Zondervan, 1996, c1984, S. Ex 20:17

No comments:

Post a Comment