Wednesday, November 14, 2012

I Am What I Am

1 Corinthians 15:10
But by the Grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them yet not I but the grace of God was with me.

One of the most powerful movies of the year is “Flight” starring Denzel Washington as an alcoholic pilot that heroically saves the passengers on his plane that has malfunctioned. It seems that the pilot is in control of the malfunctioning plane but not his own dysfunctional life. This movie is about this pilot coming to grips with who he really is and experiencing the grace of a second chance at life.

Have you come to grips with who you are? One of the hardest things to do is to look at ourselves soberly after we have covered up for so long. The Apostle Paul had to look at himself after he had an encounter with the risen Jesus on his way to persecute the church in Damascus. After Paul sobered up to the fact that he was not working for God but rather against him, he surrendered his life to serve Jesus. God changed his name from Saul to Paul and gave him a new lease on life. Paul should have died but God gave him grace.

Who are you really?
  1. By the Grace of God I am what I am. If it were not for the Grace of God I wouldn’t be where I am in life. God saw some good still in me and you and for that reason we are still alive. We are a mixture of potential and dysfunction that God decided to use for his purposes. God has given us victory over our dysfunction so that we can land the plane of souls that are depending on us to carry out our public trust.
  2. Grace has an effect. Because of the Grace God has extended us it changes our heart so that who we used to be no longer has control over us, instead we work harder to please God rather than ourselves.
  3. Grace transcends our personality so that we cannot take Glory for what God did. Had it not been for the Lord on our side we would have perished a long time ago.
Dear God,

Thank you for saving me and giving me another chance to live my life for you. By your grace I’m able to serve you and be fully alive to live out my purpose. Today, use me to save souls and land this plane.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment