Tuesday, February 5, 2013

It Hurts So Bad, But It Feels So Good

Psalm 15:1, 4

Lord, who may dwell in your sacred tent? Who may live on your holy mountain? The one who despises a vile person but honors those who fear the Lord; who keeps an oath even when it hurts, and does not change their mind

When it hurts so bad, when it hurts so bad why’s it feel so good?
What you want might make you cry what you need might pass you by
If you don’t catch it,
If you don’t catch it,
And what you need ironically
Will turn out what you want to be
If you just let it
--Lauryn Hill, When It Hurts So Bad

I’ve been told that my heart is too big. I love real hard, it’s just who I am. I have learned over the years to be more careful in how I love but it has not stopped me from loving. God honors our efforts at love. I think it’s the one thing that God can identify with us on the most. God loves us until it hurts. Just ask Jesus.

How can something hurt but feel good at the same time? When you know that you have done something for the right reason it eases the pain of following through on your commitment to love. There are promises or oaths we make that are tempting to break when we discover that the other person is not holding up on their end. However if we hold to our commitment even when it hurts God will see our commitment and reward it in the end. What you want might make you cry and what you need might pass you by but the commitment to keeping your part is the only variable you can control.

Why keep an oath that is hurting you?

  1. That which does not kill you makes you stronger.
  2. Your commitment to what is right might help the other person turn from wrong.
  3. Your name is at stake regardless of what they do. Protect your reputation, your credit, your name. you will know next time how much to promise or not promise.
  4. Your present suffering does not compare to your future Glory.
  5. If you break your promise you will lose your trust with others.
  6. To show that you have integrity.
  7. Because God will reward your faithfulness.
Dear God,

Help me to keep my oath even when it is hurting me. Give me the grace to press through to get to the completion of my promise so that I can move on to my victory in my next chapter. Thank you for sending Jesus to keep his promise to save me even when it hurt him immensely.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment