Monday, October 19, 2009

How To Get God's Attention



Acts 10:4
Your prayers and your alms have come up for a memorial before God.


So many times we look at God as some distant cosmic creator who is not concerned with the insignificance of one such as ourselves. When we look at the vastness of the solar system, let alone the expansive planet earth, we have to ask like the psalmist, “what is man that God is mindful of him?” Jesus Reassures us that just as we think of ourselves as small and insignificant in comparison to the enormity of creation, he reminds us that if God watches over a little sparrow and gives him food surely he watches over you and me. In fact, Jesus says that God knows every hair on our heads, now that is an eye for detail.

It is amazing, however, that God has the time to watch over so many of us at once. I used to wonder what we would be doing for eternity after we became angels. How would we keep busy for eternity? It just dawned on me that just maybe we will be responsible for attending to those who get God’s attention on a daily basis and need a reply.

In this text Cornelius, a Roman centurion, is visited by an Angel. He is a believer but he is not religious. He is not a Jew or a Christin but he has been seeking God. As a result, God sends an Angel to complete his search. Cornelius “googled” God and an Angel showed up with a response. When he sees the angel he is alarmed, “What is it Lord?”

The angel told him that he had gotten God’s attention: “your prayers and your alms have come up for a memorial before God.”

1. Prayer is a way for us to talk to God. In this instance his consistency has allowed God to hear continual communication from Cornelius’ house. He was so consistent God was curious who this man was who had the faith to keep talking to him. Scripture tells us to pray without ceasing. Don’t allow doubt to stop your transmission which can also lead to your transformation.

2. Your Alms. Alms were not tithes. Alms were gifts to the poor. Cornelius' heart for the poor got God’s attention. Jesus said, “When you do to the ‘least of these’ you also have done unto me.”

When we pray and give, it gets God’s attention but we are not complete until we receive Jesus Christ as Lord and savior. As a result of Cornelius a gentile seeking God, Peter was sent to preach the gospel and his whole house got saved.

God is waiting on your prayers and your generosity to get his attention so he can send an angel with a message and a preacher with the gospel and the Holy Spirit with Salvation. Call him up and tell him what you want!

Dear God, thank you for hearing my prayers. Thank you for stopping by my house and saving my entire household. I know you hear me and you love me because I see the evidence of your salvation in my house. Thank you for showing me that you care for me and you know all about my struggles. You are a great and loving God.

Thank you Jesus.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment