Monday, October 5, 2009

That's What You're Supposed to Do!

Luke 17:10
So likewise you, when you have done all those things which you are commanded say, “we are unprofitable servants. We have done what was our duty to do.”

It’s funny to me when my boys ask me for money when they clean up their rooms, take out the trash, or make good grades. I keep reminding them that these are the things that they are supposed to do. As provider, it is my job to make sure they have food, clothing, shelter, healthcare, and a good spiritual environment. All they have to do is what they are supposed to do without looking for something in return. Sometimes, I don’t believe children know how good they have it.

Children of God are the same way. We think when we Love our Neighbor, feed the hungry, visit the prisoners, clothe the naked, heal the sick, teach bible study, witness to non-believers that we deserve a congressional medal of honor or favor from God. Favor is not earned it’s given. What we get from God is at God’s discretion. The things we do for God is what we are supposed to do when we are servants of God and disciples of Jesus.

Jesus uses the analogy of a servant when he tries to explain to his disciples that this is what they are supposed to do:

Luke 17:7-10 (New International Version)
7"Suppose one of you had a servant plowing or looking after the sheep. Would he say to the servant when he comes in from the field, 'Come along now and sit down to eat'? 8Would he not rather say, 'Prepare my supper, get yourself ready and wait on me while I eat and drink; after that you may eat and drink'? 9Would he thank the servant because he did what he was told to do? 10So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.' "

So why should we expect to get special treatment just because we did what we were supposed to do? God has already been good to us. He let us live another day. He saved us from our sins. He put a roof over our head. He put food on our table. The least I can do is be faithful in my service.

I’m supposed to:
1. Treat others like I want to be treated, not how they treat me.
2. Help those who can’t help themselves.
3. Give my tithes and offering in support of ministry to others.
4. Share the gospel with unbelievers through my witness and my words.
5. Use my gifts in serving others
6. Attend worship regularly
7. 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind' ; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' "

Dear God, thank you for being my provider. It’s my Joy to serve you. If you don’t do anything else you’ve already done enough. Thank you for blessing me! Now it's time for me to be a blessing to somebody else. That’s what I’m supposed to do!

In Jesus Name!
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment