Monday, November 2, 2009

It's Test Time!



Job 23:8-10 (Amplified Bible)
8 Behold, I go forward [and to the east], but He is not there; I go backward [and to the west], but I cannot perceive Him;
9 On the left hand [and to the north] where He works [I seek Him], but I cannot behold Him; He turns Himself to the right hand [and to the south], but I cannot see Him.
10 But He knows the way that I take [He has concern for it, appreciates, and pays attention to it]. When He has tried me, I shall come forth as refined gold [pure and luminous].(A)


One thing I don’t miss about school is tests. I can remember staying up all night studying for finals, cramming information in my head so I could remember what I needed to know to pass the test the next day. I was studying to show myself approved. I did my best when I was paying attention everyday in class to what my teacher was saying and the night before was just a review. When it came test time the teacher became quiet and left us to take the test.

During this time in our lives it would seem that we are all going through a test. For some of us we were prepared, for others we are trying to cram scriptures in because we weren’t ready for this crisis. What you have to do during a test is remember what was the last thing the teacher told me. Because sometimes the teacher leaves the room during the test.

For some of us this is the quietest God has ever been in our lives. It seems like God is not present. It’s not that God is no longer there it’s just that it is test time. The teacher doesn’t talk during the test.

Job was tested. God allowed the devil to test Job. Job was a righteous man who lost everything. His ten children died in a natural disaster. His livestock and property were destroyed. His body wracked with pain and disease. His marriage was in shambles. During this test Job didn’t feel God’s presence.

Job said, “If I go forward he’s not there. Many of us are trying to go forward but we don’t experience God in our forward momentum, and when we look back we don’t see him. When David felt his presence he saw grace and mercy on his life and right. Job said, “God was hiding and couldn’t be found on his left or his right."

What do you do when you can’t find God or feel God? You got to go through the test!
Job is confident about his test, he said, “When I am tested I shall come forth like pure gold.” He uses the image of gold going through the furnace to extract the negative impurities. When we are tested God is removing everything that’s not like him.

Here is what kept Job through his test:

1. V. 11 my foot has held fast to his steps; I have kept his way and have not turned aside. There was a little boy and his father caught in a snow storm. The father left his son in the car to go get help. By the time the father got to the Ranger’s headquarters, the storm had intensified and the ranger said they had to wait 'til morning to go back and get his son. The father was outraged and saddened to leave his son in the car. Just then, there was a knock at the door. It was the man’s son. The father said, “How did you get here?” He said, "I put my foot wherever I saw your foot steps."

2. V.12 I Have not departed from the commandments of his lips. Whatever God told you in his Word or through his messengers hold on those words. Remember the last thing he told you until he tells you something else.

3. V.12 I have treasured in my bosom the words of his mouth. David said, “I have hidden his words in my heart that I might not sin against him.

When you are tested remember the tings he told you and put them in your spirit.

Dear God, keep me during this test. Don’t let me fall off. I will come forth like pure gold. I’m going to be better after this! You are my strength and my redeemer and I know my redeemer lives. Don’t turn your face from us but be with us while we are taking our test. This too shall pass.

Thank you Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment