Monday, January 9, 2012

Can You Follow @Jesus for 21 Days?!

Can You Follow @Jesus for 21 Days?!

Luke 9:23

If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

As we begin our 21 day fast we do so in hopes of following Jesus closer. We are starting out on a spiritual quest for more power. This is day 2 of our fast and we are praying for Wisdom and Faith. If you would like to join us you can get more information at www.N2NewDirection.org/21DayFast2012.pdf. We are at the beginning of a New Year in search of a New Us! In order to get there we have got to Follow Jesus.

I think where we messed up in the past is that we wanted Jesus to follow us but we did not follow him back. In the Twitter world you follow people to see what they are doing, how they are living, and what they are thinking throughout the day. We want Jesus to hear our prayers, watch what we are doing, and bless where we are going but we don’t follow him back. If we are going to receive power and be better disciples we have to do three things:

1. Deny ourselves. Fasting is denying yourself of things you want and need but you 1can make it without. Denying ourselves, disciplines our body and mind to be in tune with the Holy Spirit. Every day we must deny ourselves from things that could take us away from Jesus.

2. Take up your cross. Your cross is your burden for ministry. What are you doing for Jesus that serves other people on a daily basis? Are you praying for people? Are you serving in a ministry? There ought to be something you do for others that reflects your love for Jesus. Jesus said, “as you do to the least of these you also do unto me.”

3. Follow Jesus daily. This means to go and do what Jesus would do. Follow the lead of the Holy Spirit. The old folks used to sing, “lead me, guide me, along the way, for if you lead me I will not stray.”

Dear God,

Today, I discipline my body, mind, and sprit so that I can follow you closer and experience the power that comes from denying myself, taking up my cross, and following you all day, every day. Today, I begin my journey to follow you every step of the way.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment