Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Shortest, Fastest or Other!

Exodus 13:17

When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them on the road through the Philistine country, though that was shorter. For God said, “If they face war, they might change their minds and return to Egypt.”

Whenever I travel to an unfamiliar place I like to use my GPS. After entering the address of my destination the GPS asks me if I would like to take the shortest distance, the fastest route, or “Other.” What I’ve discovered is that “short” is not always the most effective and ”fast” is not always cost efficient. Instead of going the shortest or fastest route, could it be that God wants to take you the other route? Could the “Other” option be God’s choice for us because he can see something that we can’t?

When God took the Children of Israel out of Egypt from slavery, 600,000 of them traveled the “Other” route. God could have taken them the “shortest” route through Philistine country but God knew they would have to fight going through there. If they had a battle now they would not be ready because they were fresh out of slavery. As a slave you are not taught to fight back. Not only did God have to get them out of Egypt but he needed time to get Egypt out of them. We may think that we are ready for something but God knowing best takes us another route. It might seem like he took the longest route but if you knew what he was protecting you from you would thank him even though it’s taking you longer to get there.

I want to give you some reasons why God chose the “Other” route for you:

1. God’s working old ways of thinking out of your spirit. God’s got to get this slave, renters, sharecropping mentality out of you before he releases you as owners in the Promised Land.

2. God’s taking you around something that may be too much for you right now. You don’t have the resources to take this on right now. It’s not a denial just a delay.

3. God's preparing you for something you can’t handle right now. The next time you face it you will be able to defeat it.

4. God's got to build relationship with you. The Israelites had to see Miracle after Miracle so they would know who God is and what he is capable of. This is the season where you get to Know God better.

5. God's got to build your confidence in yourself. God had to change the negative self perception of former slaves into warriors, owners, and Kings. It takes time for God to rebuild your self-esteem.

Dear God,

Thank you for taking me the other way. Thank you for keeping me from dangers seen and unseen. When I get to where I’m going I know I’ll be ready for whatever you bless me with.

In Jesus Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment