Monday, September 24, 2012

I’ve Got to Get Back in the House

I’ve Got to Get Back in the House

Psalms 84:2
My soul years, even faints, for the courts of the Lord; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.

There is something very comforting about being in God’s presence in God’s house. Just as the geese instinctively fly south every winter for warmer climates so my soul yearns every week for God’s house and his presence. My week is incomplete if I do not make it into God’s house.

The psalmist talks about how weak he is if at the end of the week and he does not make it into God’s house. My 9-year-old son recently returned from a trip to Chicago with his football team. I had to pick him up at 6am Sunday morning. He was still sleepy and tired from his trip but when we turned in the driveway at home he rose up and said, “Finally I’m back home, there’s no place like home!”

Your heart and flesh may enjoy where you go and what you do but they also long to pull into the driveway of God’s house. When you are able to get into God’s presence there is an overwhelming feeling of being home. Often when I am in a good praise and worship service tears involuntarily come down my face. One of my theology teachers said that the reason we cry or shout during worship is because of in involuntary response of our soul being reconnected with God’s spirit.

Every week we should strive to get back into the presence of God in his house. David said, “Better is one day in God’s courts than a thousand elsewhere.” When we get back in God’s house:
  1. We are restored. The Lord will sustain him on his sickbed and restore him from his bed of illness.
  2. We are refreshed. I will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint. Jeremiah 31:25
  3. We are revived. After two days he will revive us; on the third day he will restore us that we may live in his presence. Hosea 6:3
  4. We are renewed. Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
Dear God,

One week without being in your presence makes one weak. I pray that someone reading this devotion that has been away from your house for a while would make his or her way back to you. I pray that your children who have been away on a trip would come back home to you and realize that there is nowhere like home. I’d rather be a doorkeeper in your house than to dwell in tents of wickedness. I can’t wait to see you again on Tuesday night when I come to Bible Study, because in your presence is fullness of Joy. I’m coming back home.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment