Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Is It Your Hedge or Your Heart?

Job 1:10-11
Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face.

Why do we worship God? Why do we come to church? Why do we follow Jesus? Many would say, “Because I love the Lord…” Do you love him because of what he’s done or for who he is? We have to stop and ask ourselves, do we love God because of who he is to us or because of what he does for us?

Jesus told the crowd that followed him after the miracle of feeding five thousand with two fish and five loaves of bread, “I tell you the truth, you want to be with me because I fed you and you got full off of the bread, not because you understood the miraculous signs.” (John 6:26)
Do we Love God and follow Jesus because of our heart or do we follow Jesus because we love the Hedge of protection that God has put around us?

On one occasion satan came in the presence of God because he had been searching the earth to see whom he could mess with. He is an accuser of the brethren. His only job is to discount man’s allegiance to God. He told God that the only reason Job worshipped him was because the Lord had put a hedge around him and his household. God has blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds had spread through the land. Satan told God to strike everything he had and Job would curse God to his face.

God removed the hedge to prove to satan that Job had a heart for God. Job lost everything he had, his 10 children were killed in a storm, he lost his house, his live stock were stolen or killed by natural disasters, his employees were murdered and Job shaved his head, tore his clothes to mourn. Job said, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb and naked I will depart. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken way, blessed be the name of the Lord!

Job’s heart did not change when he lost his hedge. Some of us have lost our heart for God because we loved the hedge more than we loved God. How do we avoid falling away from God when or if we lose our hedge?
  1. Find your Heart. Whatever we put our focus on that’s where we will find our hearts. Jesus told us not to put much stock on material things that could be stolen or lost. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:21
  2. Seek God first. Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33
  3. Choose God over money. No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.
  4. Learn how to be content. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
  5. Make sure Jesus is the center of your Joy. All the things I once thought were so important are gone from my life. Compared to the high privilege of knowing Christ Jesus as my Master, firsthand, everything I once thought I had going for me is insignificant—dog dung. I’ve dumped it all in the trash so that I could embrace Christ and be embraced by him. Philippians 3:8 MSG
Dear God,

I love you because you first loved me. Before I had anything I knew you loved me. With all of my heart I love you and I will serve you 'til I die. Thank you for your hedge of protection but most of all thank you for your love.

In Jesus Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment