Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Let Your Work Speak for You

Acts 20:35 In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: “It is more blessed to give than to receive.”

One of the most important things we can give our young people is a good work ethic. As a child, I was taught very early to work for what you needed and wanted. From having household chores to working in the tobacco fields of Kentucky, I worked. That work ethic carried over into ministry. I always wanted to be a blessing and not a burden.

The way that we are a blessing is through our work. It’s important that every one of us contribute through the work of our hands. We must find something for our hands to do and contribute in a way that leaves the world better than the way we found it.

The Apostle Paul was getting ready to leave his friends in Ephesus. He reminded them of how hard he had worked amongst them. There are a few things that Paul teaches us about Work:

  1. Hard work never hurt anybody. Work should be fulfilling. I think it was Paul when he said, “if a man doesn’t work a man doesn’t eat.”
  2. Work must be fulfilling. Paul said that we must help the weak. When our work helps somebody it is no longer just a job but it is ministry. Our work should help us reach a point of self-actualization where we have not just met our own personal needs but helped somebody in the process.
  3. Our Work should give back. Jesus said, “it is more blessed to give than receive.” When you find the work that you’ve been called to do, you know it because you would do it for free if you had to. When you work for God the compensation is knowing that you are fulfilling God’s will for your life.
Dear God,

Thank you for the work that you have called me to do. I hope that my work that I’ve done for you will speak for itself. I pray that my work has helped somebody to know you better and get closer to Jesus.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment