Thursday, December 27, 2012

Got To Be More Careful

Hebrews 2:1
We must pay more careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away.
My son, Jaden, came hopping down the stairs, grimacing in pain. I asked him what had happened. He said, “I hit my toe again. It’s the same toe I hit the other day. “I asked him jokingly, “Why did you do that?” He said, “I’m not looking where I’m stepping I guess.” I told him, “Son, you got to be more careful.”

How many of us keep stumbling over the same thing, and keep hurting ourselves in the same places over and over again? It would seem by now, after all the pain from previous encounters that we would have learned to watch where we are stepping. It would seem that we would pay more attention to where we are going but we keep stepping on the same stuff.

God gives us his word so we will not stumble while we are walking. In fact, the bible says, that a righteous man’s steps are ordered. David said, “God’s word is a light to my feet and a lamp to my pathway.” God gives us his word so that we will not stumble but it’s up to us to be more careful so that we will not stumble.

What we have to do is:
  1. Pay more careful attention…The bible tells us over and over to be sober and alert. When we pay more careful attention we can avoid potential danger if we are sober and alert. When we don’t pay attention is when we stumble into something that could cause us unnecessary pain.
  2. Pay more careful attention to what we have heard. We have all heard enough preaching and truth telling to save the whole world but the question is, ‘Have we applied what we have heard?’ Hebrews 4:2 For we also have had the gospel preached to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because those who heard did not combine it with faith.
  3. Do not drift away. Texting and driving are equivalent to drinking and driving because we do not have focus on the road. Many of us are in danger of crashing because something else has our focus.
It’s time for us to pay more careful attention to what God has already told us so that we will not drift away and stumble into something from which we cannot recover.

Dear God,

Please forgive me for losing my focus and stumbling in the wrong direction. Help me to regain my focus so that I can walk in the direction that you would have me to go. Today, I will pay more careful attention to where you are taking me.

In Jesus Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment