Thursday, December 27, 2012

Turn on the Light

John 3:19
This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil

One of the great traditions of Christmas is all of the beautiful lights that adorn the houses and trees. Although I love looking at them, I must admit I don’t enjoy the labor of putting them up. It seems that by the time you put them on your house it’s time to take them back down.

Jesus is the light of the word and he said, “If I be lifted up, I’ll draw all men unto me” It is our privilege in this season to lift up the light of all lights but don’t be surprised if some people don’t appreciate the light. Some people love darkness rather than the light. Some of the same people who love Christmas lights will despise Jesus’ light! Christmas lights are for decorations; Jesus light is for direction. Christmas lights accessorize; Jesus’ light exposes things hidden. Christmas lights are seasonal; Jesus’ light shines for all eternity. Christmas lights are for show; Jesus’ light allows him to show up.

When you are doing evil deeds you hate light. When you are doing right you welcome the light. When you are sleep you hate for the light to come on. When you are fully awake you welcome the light so that you can be productive. It’s time for some of us to turn on the light.
How do we turn on the light?
  1. Choose entertainment that brings light not darkness. In a world so decrepit and violent we need more light. I don’t like going to see a lot of movies involving violence, demons, witchcraft, murder, and mayhem. I want to see something that is going to make my soul feel better when I leave. The same with music, we need to hear something that is going to bring light into our souls. Whatever we put in is what is going to come out.
  2. We have to make sure our eyes are full of light. Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eye is healthy, your whole body is full of light, but when it is bad, your body is full of darkness. Luke 11:34
  3. Instead of cursing the darkness light a candle. When we intentionally do good in the world we are lighting candles. When we find the world devoid of light we must choose to do good and light candles through our good work. There are plenty of opportunities in the world for us to turn on the light by lighting candles of good works.
  4. Live a life that reflects God’s Glory. Just like the moon doesn’t have any light of it’s own neither do we. As Christians we are to reflect the Glory of Jesus Christ by letting his Spirit operate in us.
Dear God,

Help me to walk in the light, beautiful light of Jesus Christ. Purify my heart and clean up my life so that your light might shine through me. Thank you for illuminating my life.

In Jesus Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment