Thursday, January 10, 2013

Giving You the Best that I Got

Luke 10:27

He answered, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind and Love your neighbor as yourself.

I was listening to an old Anita Baker song the other day and she was talking to the love of her life through song telling him, “I’m giving you the best that I got.” I’ve heard that song before but this time it resonated in my spirit that we should be giving God the best that we have everyday of our lives. God the lover of our Souls deserves more than what we give him.

If we were to tell the truth about it we would have to change the scripture in Luke 10:27 to read something like this, “I love the Lord God half heartedly, and with a tainted soul and with left over energy and with a distracted mind and I love my neighbor when it’s convenient for me.”

God deserves our best not our leftovers. To effectively follow Jesus we have to give God the best that we got! It’s all or nothing. Jesus summarizes the commandments of God into two sentences when he challenges us to Give God the best that we got by loving God:

  1. With all your heart. Wherever your treasure is that is where your heart will be also. Whatever you treasure or value the most is what will get the best of your heart. Jesus should be the one we treasure the most because of who he is to us.
  2. With all your soul. Your soul is your innermost being. It’s that part of you that resonates with God. Your Soul should magnify God not you.
  3. With all your strength. God should get the best energy from you not what’s left over.
  4. With all your mind. In order to do this you need to Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Philippians 4:8
  5. Love your neighbor as you love yourself. We should treat people like we want to be treated no matter what race, sex, social classification they are in, we have a moral obligation to Love them.
Dear God,

Today, I’m going to give you the best that I have because of who you are in my life. I’m going to be intentional about giving you the best in every area in my life so that you can see that you come first in my life. I love you and I’m going to give you the best that I got!

In Jesus Name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment