Thursday, January 3, 2013

What is this Child Going to Be?

What is this Child going to be?

Luke 1:66
Everyone who heard this wondered about it asking, “What then is this child going to be?” For the Lord’s hand was with him.

Watching your children grow up is an awesome gift and experience wrapped up in a mystery. You can see their little personality budding even at birth. I remember my son, Omari, coming out of his mother’s womb head first with his eyes open. It freaked me out! He came out with his eyes open, we named him, Omari Malik which means intelligent King. He graduates this year.

Last night at Watch Night service, Omari came up on stage at the end because he said, “I want to know God for myself.” As I looked at my son standing on the stage, it was like looking in the mirror 24 years ago when I accepted my call on New Year’s Eve. As I saw him standing there on stage I asked God, “What will this child be?”

I have never pushed my son into my shoes because I know God has his own plans for my son. Whatever purpose God has for him I will support. Just as Zechariah couldn’t make his son, John the Baptist, into a priest in the Temple, we cannot make our children choose our profession over their purpose. John was a prophet who God called to be a voice of one crying out in the wilderness. John chose the Wilderness over the sanctuary. John chose Camel skin garments over linen robes. John chose locust and honey over lamb and bread. John was like his daddy but different.

What role do we play as parents in the development of our child’s destiny?
  1. You name your children. Zechariah named his son, John, even though it was not customary to name your child something that didn’t previously exist. We purposely gave our son an African name with meaning so that he could live up to his name. Name your children what you want them to become.
  2. Dedicate your Children. Zechariah dedicated his son in the eighth month. Make sure you bring your children back to the house of God so that they have a good spiritual foundation.
  3. Raise your children. Train up a child in the way they should go and when they grow old they will not depart from it. What you do at home with your child is probably more important than what you do with them at church or in school. Your home is your first institution of higher learning for your child.
  4. Release your children. After you have poured yourself into them, you have to let them go to pursue their purpose knowing that God’s hand is on them.
Dear God,

Thank you for my sons. I pray that I would be a good father and launch them into their destiny. Help me to model for them what it means to be a Disciple of Jesus and release them into their purpose. Thank you for the gift of raising my children, now I release them to you.

In Jesus Name,

Amen
 

No comments:

Post a Comment