Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Loose It and Bring It!



Mark 11:3
And if anyone says to you, “why are you doing this? Say, “The Lord has need of it. And immediately he will send it here.

Have you ever needed someone to come and help you only to have them respond, “I’m tied up right now?” We all have found ourselves tied up and unavailable to help when it’s time to help. Somebody is in need of your gifts, your abilities but you can’t be accessed because you are tied up.

I remember 20 years ago sitting in church as a college student struggling with a call to ministry. I was tied up in being popular, president of my fraternity, going to parties, chasing women, but there was more God wanted form me. I would even re-dedicate my life to God almost every other Sunday but it would not satisfy the emptiness I felt on the inside. On Jan 2, 1989, I was sitting in the front pew of Cedar Grove Baptist Church when Rev. Quinton Yates preached “Untie yourself so the Lord can use you.” My face flushed red hot, I felt like Malcolm X in Spike Lee’s movie when he was “floating” down the side walk before he was assassinated. I didn’t want to do this, but something was pulling me and I stood up that day to announce to the congregation that I had been called to the ministry. I loosed it and brought it.

Jesus needed a colt that had never been ridden or broken to ride. He told his disciples where to find it. There were two problems: 1) it had never been ridden or broken and 2) it was tied up. What do you do when you haven’t been broken and you are tied up, but the Lord has need of you?

1. Loose it. It’s interesting that Jesus sent his disciples to get a wild colt. One that had never been ridden. Many times God sends people into your lives with the ability to loose us. They have the anointing to say something to us even though others have already tried, but when these disciples say it you don’t even fight back. You loose it when you let go of whatever has had you bound all these years so that you can leave where you have been tied up. Many of us are like that Elephant that had been tied up since he was a baby. As a baby, the circus trainer ties a rope on the baby elephant’s leg to a stake in the ground. Because the baby elephant is small, he’s not strong enough to break free. When he becomes an adult he has become accustomed to the rope in his mind. In his mind he’s not strong enough to break free, but in reality, he can snap the rope at any time. The rope is not holding his foot, it’s holding his mind. Loose yourself.

2. If anyone asks you what you are doing, tell them Jesus has need of you. When you are not in your spot anymore, people will start calling you, especially the people that were stuck with you and the people who had a say so or were profiting from you being tied up. Some people are holding you down but the problem is that you are not even using your gifts; they just have you tied up. You are tied up in a bad relationship, you are tied up in a bad contract, you are tied up in litigation but when God get’s ready to loose you, you just need to tell them I got to go; the Lord has need of me. Jesus will get you out!

3. Bring it. You must bring yourself to Jesus. You must leave the spot where you were and come to where Jesus is. Henry Blackaby, in his book, Experiencing God, says that you must find where God is moving and join him. Where is God moving around you? Where is there a move of God where God needs your hands and your heart? Find that place and bring yourself to it.

4. Jesus is the only one who can break you. No one had ever ridden this colt before. Jesus was the only one who was able to tame a wild creature. When he sat upon the colt it didn’t buck him off. There is something about the love and grace of our Lord and Savior that can tame the wild beast inside each of us. When you surrender to Christ, he will give you a peace which surpasses human understanding.

Dear God, help me to loose it and bring it. Whatever has me tied up and unmovable I surrender right now. Forgive me and free me to serve you. Lord I’m available to you, whatever you want me to do, I’ll do, wherever you want me to go, I’ll go, I untie myself this morning and I ask you to use me as you see fit.

In Jesus Name,

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment