Friday, March 13, 2009

Why Do They Want Me Now?



Galatians 4:17
They zealously court you, but for no good, yes they want to exclude you, that you may be zealous for them.

Isn’t it amazing how you can be alone for years wanting somebody to notice you, but instead you spend years under the radar unnoticed? It is during those hidden years that God is developing you and hiding you for your own good. We all want to be selected or chosen. But after God has established you, we need to be very discerning who we allow to court us.

The word court is another word we used back in the day for dating. Someone who was attracted to you would come to your house to court you. The man had to come to the house and sit with your parents to court you. There was no blowing the horn or you calling him, he had to meet your Father. Maybe that’s the problem with our courting. We never introduce them to our Father.

Someone who is attracted to you zealously pursues you. It’s alright for people to want to date you when you are single and still in discovery mode, but it’s a little suspicious that you come around after I find somebody who genuinely loves me. It is one thing to pursue me with zeal when I’m not settled, but now that I know who I am, “Why you want me now?”

When people are pursuing you, you’ve got to look at the timing and the motive. Don’t give into flattery without considering, “Why you want me now?”

Paul was trying to help the Christians in Galatia to stay on track. There were some religious Judiazers who wanted these new Christians to be circumcised before they were accepted. They wanted to make a covenant or an agreement with them. Paul warned them that this relationship could lead them back to bondage after God had already given them freedom. Be careful that when you finally know who you are and whose you are, that somebody doesn’t come trying to court you for their cause.

Paul cautions us when we need to be suspicious of people courting us:

1. They zealously court you. Paul says it’s good to be zealous for a good cause, but when people are overly anxious to get to you, you have to wonder, “Why now?” It could be good, but make sure you discern.

2. Paul says they pursue you, but upon further inspection it’s for no good. Oh, that’s what you wanted me for. You wanted me so that you can get some “cut up.” They wanted these Christians who were free in the spirit to cut their flesh to justify their religious insecurities. It might look like it's good, but upon further examination, they get more out of it than you do, and they want you to cut something off of you to fit in with them.

3. They want to exclude you. They want to take you out of a living community to be with them because they are miserable.

4. They want you to be zealous for them. They want your juice to further their agenda.

Dear God, thank you for not allowing me to be desperate and be courted by anybody to the point that I lose myself. I know who I am now, and I will not cut off me to fit in with them. Thank you for making me free and sending me in a New Direction.

In Jesus Name.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment