Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Don't Put On Other People's Clothes



I Samuel 17:39

David fastened his sword to his (Saul’s) armor and tried to walk for he had not tested them. And David said to Saul, “I cannot walk with these, for I have not tested them.” So David took them off.

Authenticity and Uniqueness is vital to forming your own identity. Some people spend a lifetime trying to figure out who they are. There is a tendency for us to emulate others until we figure out who we are. Tonex has a powerful new song called “Blend,” where he says why do we try so hard to dress like them, why do we try so hard to blend because when they change we have to change again.

We have to learn how to be comfortable in our own skin. There is something God has given you that works for you and you need to stop apologizing for your style, your swagger, and your way of doing things. You can't be like everybody else and nobody can beat you being you.

David was just a young, ruddy, handsome shepherd boy when he ran into the Giant Goliath. This Giant had defied and terrorized the Israelite army for 40 days, until David showed up. Grown men refused to step up and fight with this Giant and here comes this young shepherd boy talking much noise. Saul tries to talk David out of it by saying, “You are just a youth. Goliath is a warrior whose been fighting since his youth.” David said parenthetically, “You must not know me, I’ve fought Lions and bears and I will bust the windows out of his car….no really…..I will defeat this Giant and give Glory to God!”

Saul then gave David his armor, and he put a bronze helmet on his head, he also clothed him with a coat of mail. David tried to walk around with this older, taller man’s clothes on but it was heavy and awkward. The bible says David tested them out.

Some of us are walking awkwardly because we are testing out other people’s expectations for our lives. We have allowed other people to dress us in what they would wear but not what we need on. Everything you need is what God has already given you.

David was a shepherd. His only defense was a sling shot. He had been successful with that. He had tested them and they worked. Why change up the game and put on something from somebody older and insecure who hadn’t used what they are trying to put on you? I can’t wear Daddy’s clothes in this era. The models of leadership from yesterday are different from today. You can’t wear somebody else’s clothes. Do you!

When I Preach, most of the time it’s in Jeans and a nice shirt. I’m ministering to another generation. I don’t do loud suits. I don’t do Robes. Nothing wrong with either one. It just ain’t me in this season. I was a youth pastor for 11 years in the field with sneakers and Timberlands, baggy Jeans and Jerseys. God allowed me to be successful. When it was my time to come up to fight Goliath, I tried to walk around in Robes and suits. It didn’t work for me. I had to do me. More than clothing my paradigm for ministry. My preaching style does not fit the “cookie cut” model for traditional ministry. My brothers on the battlefield often criticized my “steeze” or style as unorthodox, but it’s my anointing that Kills Goliath so what does it matter what I have on? Do you!

Don’t put on other people's clothes. Whatever you have tested and it works for you, walk in that and slay your Giant. Set your own trend. Blaze your own trail for the Glory of God. Wear your own clothes. “I can’t wear skinny Jeans because my knot, (money) won’t fit. {Jay Z} Don’t Blend {Tonex} Stand out!

Dear God, thank you for making me Authentic. I’m one of a kind and I love it. You have given me everything I need to be successful and I refuse to be limited by the expectations of others. I’m out of the box. I’m free and I won’t go back.

In Jesus Name!
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment