Monday, April 20, 2009

A Storm Proof House



Matthew 7:24,25

Therefore whoever hears these sayings of mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock and the rain descended, the floods came and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall for it was founded on the rock.

There have been so many natural disasters as of late with tornadoes, flash floods, and thunderstorms sweeping through the nation. People have had to flee their homes only to return to devastation. There have been some instances where homes that have been through storms before have reinforced their homes to withstand hurricane force winds. Depending on where they live different people have tried to make preparation for the storms headed their way. Not long ago, I added earthquake coverage to my house because Memphis is on one of the greatest fault lines in the south. You can’t stop storms but you can be prepared for them.

Just as there are natural disasters, there are also supernatural disasters waiting to attack our homes. Financial crisis mixed with a couple that’s not praying can lead to a storm. An affair that hits a marriage with no prayer can lead to a storm. Children that have not been trained up in the scriptures left unsupervised can lead to a storm. A house that does not have Jesus’ commandments as the foundation will be devastated in the time of storm.

Jesus is clear. If we do not live out his “saying” our homes will not make it through the storms of life. HE gives the comparison between listening to his word and not living out his word as to building on rock and building on sand. When we live out Jesus’ teachings, it’s like building everything we use to cover us on the solidness of Rock. When the storms come, our house will survive.

There may be some shingles missing, some windows blown out, but we will recover if it’s built on Rock. We might have to go to marriage counseling, family counseling, ask for forgiveness or just rebuild, but we will made it because we built on Jesus Christ the Solid Rock. When there is no word of God and we live by our own rules, we put up all these pretty natural things on Sandy Superficial grounds we set ourselves up for natural and Supernatural disasters. When we build our homes on New Age and Spiritualism, it’s like building the house on the movie Poltergeist when they built their home on top of an Indian burial ground. There is nothing in place to hold you in the time of storm. So what should have shaken you devastates you. What should have blown over blows you down. Why? Because there is no foundation.

The first thing you lay when you build a house is the foundation. As Christians, our foundation consists of:

1. The Word of God. In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word became flesh and lived amongst us. Jesus is the word.

2. Obedience to the word. Jesus said, “if you love me than you will keep my commandments."

3. Praying the word. Jesus said, “Ask anything in my name and it shall be done.

4. Spreading the word. Jesus said, Go therefore into all the world and preach my gospel and make disciples of all nations.

Dear God,
Strengthen my foundation. Help me to pray with my family and be consistent in Bible study time with them. It makes no difference how many material things I have in my house if I have no foundation. Order my steps in your word, dear Lord. Lead me guide me everyday. Help me to be able to proclaim in the time of storm, On Jesus Christ, the Solid Rock, I stand. All other ground is sinking sand, all other ground is sinking sand! Strengthen my foundation and make my house storm proof.

In Jesus Name,

Amen.

1 comment:

  1. There are times in our lives when things won't work out the way they want them to. Tragedies such as Hurricane Katrina brought out the worst in people. But in spite of all the cons, there will always be a God that cares and looks after us.

    -Emerson Paynode

    ReplyDelete