Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Never Sacrifice Your Children For Your Success



Judges 11:31 Whatever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace form the people of Ammon, shall surely be the Lord’s and I will offer it up as a burnt offering.

Many times we are so driven in being successful that we end up sacrificing what means the most to us. Ray Charles almost lost his family in exchange for his musical success and his addiction to heroin. Ray is not the only one blinded by success but post-modern parents are in danger of losing their children to the corporate climb and the daily grind, but sometimes we make bad decisions based upon our family blue print that we regret later on.

Jepthah was a mighty man of Valor but his mama was a harlot. His brothers drove him away and he kicked it with some thugs who went out on raiding parties. When he grew up he got a reputation of being a successful fighter. When his people the Giledites were attacked they came to him for help. I like what he said to them, “Did you not hate me, and expel me form my Father’s house? Why have you come to me now when you are in distress?” Isn’t it amazing how people who hated you will turn to your strengths when they are in distress?
Even though Jepthah had skills and strength the wasn’t thinking when he made a vow that if the Lord gave him the victory he would sacrifice the firs thing out of his house. Often times we are so quick to impress people that hate us that we destroy the lives of the people who love us.

Since nobody ever really loved Jephtah he didn’t have a blueprint to Love and protect what might come out of his house. Eh was so busy fighting he didn’t give much thought to loving. When he got back from fighting his only daughter came out dancing to greet her daddy. He told her he was sad because he made a vow to God that he couldn’t take back and he had to sacrifice (kill) her. She said “let it be but give me two months to lament my virginity with my friends.” She had to mourn the fact she would never get married, never go to college, and never have a family because her daddy sacrificed her life for his success. What have your children given up for your to get what you got?
How do we protect our kids form our pursuit of success?
1. Make plans with them in Mind. Whatever your ambitions give thought to how it will affect the development of your kids.
2. Don’t sacrifice their future for your daily pursuits. Your schedule should ultimately reflect that your children are a priority.
3. Love them like you would have wanted your parents to love you.
4. Don’t be hasty in your promises to others; think about your house first.
Dear God thank you for my success but more than anything thank you for my wife and sons. They are my reason for fighting. Keep them as a priority and protect them from y pursuits of success. May I find them in peace and tear them to pieces with my ambition. Give me the love and grace to be a good parent and spouse. Thank you for the victory and for the people in my house.

In Jesus name.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment