Monday, June 29, 2009

PYT



Titus 2:6-8

Titus 2:6-8 (New King James Version)
6 Likewise, exhort the young men to be sober-minded, 7 in all things showing yourself to be a pattern of good works; in doctrine showing integrity, reverence, incorruptibility,[a] 8 sound speech that cannot be condemned, that one who is an opponent may be ashamed, having nothing evil to say of you.[b]

“I want to Love you PYT! Pretty Young thing, I want to Love you TLC! With Tender Loving Care and I’ll take you there, take you there.”

God wants to take us there, he wants to love us in a way that nobody else can but we must be PYT’s—Positive Young Trainees. We need to have a teachable sprit and be ready to receive the Righteousness of God. If we are going to be the Leaders of tomorrow, we have to start following God today. We have to yield ourselves to his will and to his way. As MJ’s life has shown us what happens in our young life shows up later in our adult life. Michael was a PYT whose purity was tainted by the tragic excavation of his childhood. He persevered through the dysfunction to leave us some of the most beautiful music and magical moments in the history of pop culture. If he could tell us one more thing from a retrospective look from his journey, I believe he would tell us from heaven not to be content being PYT (pretty young Things) but to be PYT’s (Positive Young Trainees) of God.

Paul outlines for Titus a list similar to the one he gave Timothy. Note that the traits he mentions deal with personal character, not techniques, gifts or skills. The truth of the matter is there are a lot of talented and gifted young people but not a lot of leaders with character. If we are not careful our talents will take us where our character can’t keep us. Sometimes, we are more concerned with being PYT (Pretty young things) than we are in our inward development to becoming PYT (Positive Young Trainees). Often times than not we are pretty on the outside but underdeveloped on the inside.

In order for our character to keep up with our gifting we need to have some characteristics that go into making us PYT’s.

1. Verse six. Sober minded. When we self-medicate on Drugs, Alcohol, or Sex, we never are able to make clear decisions as to the direction of our lives. For some of us it’s easier to self-medicate the pain than it is to sober up and face reality. When we are sober we are better able to navigate the twists and turns of life to get to where we need to be. Like OutKast said, “we got to get up get out and get something don’t let all the days of your life pass you by, don’t spend all your time trying to get high, because you and I got to look out for you and I.”

2. Verse seven; we need a pattern of good works. When you go look for a job they are looking for a pattern of consistency. When you apply to college they are looking for a pattern of good grades. When People look at your life they need to see a pattern of good deeds. Faith without works is dead.

3. Integrity. Integrity is who you are when no one is looking. Integrity is doing what you say you are going to do. All a man or woman has is there reputation. A good name is worth more than gold.

4. Reverence to the word of God. When you revere the word of God, it will take you far. David said, “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.”

5. Sound speech. Know what you are talking about. Do your research. So that when your critics try to attack you, they will not be able to refute your knowledge.
God is looking for PYT’s to give some TLC but you have to TCB…take Care of your Fathers Business.

Dear God, thank you for loving me when I didn’t love myself. Help me to be all that you want me to be so that I can lead others in the way of Jesus Christ. Make me, Mold me, Shape me, and feel me with your Spirit so I can be a PYT!

In Jesus Name.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment