Thursday, June 11, 2009

Speak the Truth Anyway



2 Chronicles 18:13

And Micaiah said, “As the Lord Lives, whatever my God says that I will speak.”

It is so tempting to be seduced into popular opinion, especially when the mainstream seems to be trending towards the majority. Today many prophets only seem to be concerned with a profit and being popular. To go against popular opinion seems to bring about scrutiny and ostratization. You should never think that being called by God will lead you to a place of popularity often times it is the exact opposite but if you are called you must speak the truth anyway.

Micaiah was a true prophet that could not be bought out, punked out, or sold out. When King Ahab decided he would go to war against Ramath Gilead, he asked King Jehosophat to go with him. 4400 prophets came to tell them they would succeed and to go forth. But King Jehoshaphat was leery of everyone prophesying prosperity and not one word of challenge. So he asked is there not a prophet of the Lord left?
Ahab said, “Yeah but I hate him! He never tells me anything good.” Isn’t it amazing that people can hate you just for telling the truth? Truth tellers have never really been popular. Dr. King was hated by his own people and denomination. Malcolm X was assassinated by his own people. Jesus was crucified for telling the truth. The truth sometimes is telling people what they are not ready to hear but it’s factual. Ahab said, “I hate him because he never prophecies anything good toward me.” Because he wanted Jehosophat to fight on his side against Ramath Gilead, he summoned Micaiah.

When they summoned Micaiah they told him to agree with the 400 after all they were the majority. He said, “Whatever God says that’s what I got to say.” He told the two Kings the truth; that they would be defeated and Israel scattered because they were deceived by 400 prophets who had a lying spirit on them. There is nothing more difficult than speaking truth in a culture that’s used to being lied to. We‘d rather be lied to than to face ourselves. If you are truly sent by God, you can’t lie no matter how profitable it is or how uncomfortable or unpopular you may become.

How do you speak truth in a culture that loves to be lied to?

1. You must know the truth for yourself. Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life.” You must know Jesus for yourself in order to stay pure in a corrupt culture. You cannot be in relationship with Jesus and still let lies come out of your mouth.

2. Don’t use the media for your source of truth. They are all diluted with Spin. Whether it’s Fox News or CNN they have a little bit of Spin. There is always truth behind the truth and you must be wise and discerning as to what is the truth. Be intelligent enough to see beyond what men and women report as truth and seek the truth for yourself. Be an informed truth teller. Don’t tell pieces of the truth, tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

3. Test the Sprit by the Spirit. More than ever you have to be discerning of what is from God and what is not. Once you hear for yourself, you will know the truth by the Holy Spirit if you know Jesus. Jesus said my sheep know my voice, they will not hearken to the voice of a stranger. I love the discourse that Jesus has with Pilate about the truth. John 18:37-39 (New International Version)
37"You are a king, then!" said Pilate.

Jesus answered, "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."

38"What is truth?" Pilate asked. With this he went out again to the Jews and said, "I find no basis for a charge against him.

4. Do not fear man but fear God. Matthew 10:28
Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Dear God, put truth in my mouth and never let a lying spirit get near me. Give me the boldness and truthfulness of Micaiah. I don’t want to be a part of the 400 lying prophets. If I have to walk alone so be it. But please let me stand for you. Let me be your vessel for truth and help me to know the truth and let the truth set me and those I speak to free.

In Jesus Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment