Thursday, June 18, 2009

Rightly Seasoned



Colossians 4:6 (New International Version)

6Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

There was a commercial back in the 90’s that I heard when I first moved to Memphis that use to crack me up. It was “Penny” Hardaway talking about some bologna that he loved and he got it shipped to Orlando. Penny was a great basketball player but he sure did sound like he was reading those cue cards. LOL. Whenever he got to my favorite part he would always put emphasis on the bologna being “Rightly Seasoned!”

When you eat your favorite food you always want to make sure it is “Rightly seasoned.” Too much salt can ruin some good greens. Too much sugar can mess up a good dessert. It has to be “Rightly seasoned.” It is the same way with our words. We can’t be “too salty” tinged with bitterness, anger, or sarcasm. And we can’t be too sweet overly complimentary, evasive, and sugary with the truth.

Paul was warning the Colossian Christians on how to deal with people outside the faith. There were critics. There were people with questions. There were people with accusations against the church, but Paul said, “Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside.” Before we open our mouths to answer people on the outside, we have to make sure we taste our words to make certain that they are “Rightly Seasoned.”

Paul says,
1.) Let your speech always be with grace. Grace is sweet. It is kind. It is unmerited favor. It is the opposite of wrath. When some people open their mouths they don’t even know what they are talking about, they need enlightenment. This is when you respond with grace. “I can understand why you would think that way but let me tell you the truth.” Grace keeps you from calling the person ignorant or cursing them out but instead guiding them to the truth.

2.) Seasoned with Salt. Salt is the transformative element that gives food its taste and at the same time preserves. Jesus likens a well informed and bold disciple as salt. He said, “We are the salt of the earth but what good is salt if it’s lost its flavor.”

Our response to those on the outside ought to add flavor while preserving the truth. You have to be careful with salt because too much of it and you will not be able to taste the food. Seasoned with Salt, means you only give them enough to enhance what you are saying but not enough to raise yours or their blood pressure. Seasoned with Salt would sound something like this. “I can understand why you would think that but let me help you, never be down on what you are not up on.”

Grace is withholding wrath and salt is adding some truth. When your words are “rightly seasoned,” you will know how to answer those on the outside.

Dear God, give me the recipe for healthy dialogue with outsiders. Temper my tongue when I share the truth. Help me to win folks to Christ without cutting them with my words. May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you my Lord.

In Jesus Name.

Amen.

1 comment:

  1. OH MY GOD. THAT WAS VERY POWERFUL. I REALLY NEEDED THAT. IT WAS RIGHT ON TIME.

    ReplyDelete