Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Are You On The Right Side?



John 21:6
And he said to them, “Cast the net on the Right side of the boat, and you will find some.” So they cast, and now they were not able to draw it in because of the multitude of fish.

In life there is a “Right side” for everything. In the United States, we drive on the “Right Side” of the road but in the Bahamas their “Right Side” is the Left side because they were under British rule and still have reminders of another system. In the early 60’s if you were African-American you had better not get caught on the wrong side of town or if you were white you didn't want to get caught on the wrong side of town either. In an argument, you want to make sure you are on the “Right Side.”

Depending on where you are it might be hard to discern which side is the “Right side.” In Politics, sometimes the Left could be right and the Right wrong, or the Right could be Right and the Left refuse to follow, but the question is “are you on the Right Side?”

One way to discover if you have been on the Right side is to see how productive you’ve been on the side where you are presently.

The Disciples after Jesus had been crucified went back to their old routines of Fishing. It was their comfort zone. But just because you’re comfortable with something doesn’t mean you are on the “Right Side.” They fished all night and didn’t catch anything. The next morning Jesus shows up on the shore. They don’t recognize him. He asks them, “Children do you have any food?" They say, “No.” He said, “Cast your nets on the right side and you will have some.”

When we are asked to shift your efforts to the “right side” it can be challenging because you have expended your energy for so long on the “wrong side” but when you hear the voice of Jesus it’s not hard to shift but you still have to be obedient before you see results. You have to get on the “Right Side.” Regardless of where you are politically you have to get on the “Right Side.” No matter what country you are in you have to drive on the “Right side.” No matter what your flesh wants you have to make sure you are on the “right side.” Get on the Right side of Justice, get on the right side of Righteousness, and get on the right side of Holiness, Get on the right of God’s Holy Will.

When they were obedient, the net was so full of fish they were not able to draw them in. Then, they recognized that it was Jesus standing on the shore and they went to eat with him and he said, “Bring some of the fish that you caught and lets eat."
Are you fishing on the Right side?

Dear God, help me to stop and look at my life. Before I go any further help me to find out, “Am I on the Right side?” Is my life pleasing and productive or am I hiding in a place where I’m comfortable but unproductive? Father, let me hear the voice of Jesus and I will shift my energy to the side you tell me too. I’m hungry and my food is to do the will of him who sent me. Feed me till I want no more. I’m ready to get on the Right side!

In Jesus Name.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment