Thursday, August 26, 2010

How You Doing?

3 John 1:2
Dear Friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well.


Wendy Williams has a famous greeting she borrowed from the vernacular of Southern Grandmothers, “How you doing?” it is a greeting that appears on the surface to be genuinely interested in your well being but with the comical twist given by Wendy it’s nothing more than a satirical greeting to open the show of shallow acquaintance, “how you doing?”

As Christians we really should want to know how other people are doing. In fact, we should be praying for the well being of those we are in relationship with. When we pray for others we are praying for their prosperity. The King James Version says, “I pray that you prosper even as your soul prospers.” Prosperity has been given a bad rap by televangelists greedy for selfish gain but it means way more than just money. The Greek word Euodoo means, “to have a successful journey through life.”

The Hebrew word, shalom, can be translated “prosperous” which means “completeness, safety, health, soundness, and contentment.” When we pray for others we are asking God to put these elements in others lives but the key starts with the condition of our souls. You cannot do good unless you are doing good.

It starts from the inside out. It means that as we are living according to God’s principles and experiencing his blessing God prospers us. That’s how I’m doing? I’m doing good so therefore I’m doing good! It’s not about works, it’s about being. When I’m right with God I’m doing good! How you doing?!

Dear God, thank you for making me to prosper from the inside out. You’ve been so good to me keeping me safe, granting me success, giving me good health. I’m doing good! I pray you would allow my friends and family who seek your face this morning to experience the same prosperity in their lives.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment