Monday, August 2, 2010

Who You Talking To?

Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water." John 4:10

It pays to be nice to people. It doesn't cost you anything to be freindly but more and more I run into people who are nasty for no reason. The South used to be known for its hospitality but that seems to have been replaced with "Southern Hostility." You could blame it on the heat but these hostilities seem to transcend seasons.

It's important for us to be aware of how important it is to be nice. My Grandmother said, "Its nice to be improtant but it's more important to be nice." You never know who you are talking to and how they can help you.

Jesus was hot and thristy one day and he stopped at a well in the heat of the day on the other side of the railroad tracks. A Samaritan woman was there and Jesus, a Jewish man, asked her for a drink of water. She got smart and said, "How are you going to ask me for some water when you know Jews and Samarians don't get along?' Jesus said, "If you knew who you were talking to, you would have asked him for a drink and I would have given you life giving water."

This woman didn't know she was talking to the source of her supply. Jesus was there to give her a spritual well that would satisfy her thirst for love for the rest of her life but she was too angry to see who she was talking to. Today, God may be sending you someone you think is a customer or stranger or maybe even an inconvenience, but in reality, they've been sent to bless you, but they can't bless you until you bless them by being nice!

Who are you talking to? Before you miss your blessing by being nasty, here's what you need to do:

1. Be the first one to speak. Especially if you work somewhere and a customer comes in don't let them speak to you first before you say something.

2. Smile when you greet people. It takes more muscles to frown then it does to smile.

3. Treat people like you want to be treated.

4. Don't racially profile people or generalize gender just because you had a bad experience with either one. Everybody is not the same.

5. Go beyond appearance and see what's on the inside. You could be talking to the millionaire next door or an angel from heaven.

Dear God, help me to be friendly to each person that I greet today. Somebody, I meet today is holding the key to what I've been looking for. I pray today that somebody would meet Jesus today when they see Him in me. I'm thirsty for you and if you show up I'll be glad to share what I have with you even if you don't look like the kind of person I would speak to. Open my mind today so that I won't miss you when you come my way.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment