Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Do You Have An Excuse?

Luke 14:18
But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said, “I have just bought a field, and I must go and see it. Please excuse me.”

Excuses are monuments of nothingness. They build bridges to nowhere. Those who use these tools of incompetence seldom become anything but nothing at all.

When you miss school the administration usually wants you to bring an excuse back. There is an excused absence such as going to the doctor due to sickness or death in your family. Then there are unexcused absences like skipping school to go to the mall or to hang out to play with your friends. Many times an excuse becomes a lie to avoid responsibility for your actions. Many of us cannot advance to the next level of higher learning because we have too many excuses. Do you have an excuse? What’s stopping you from advancing this year?

It’s a New Year and an invitation has been sent out for you to come to God’s house for a banquet. Every week God sets a spread, prepares a feast in your honor at his house just for you but there are a lot of people making excuses as to why they can’t show up.

1. Work. Verse I have just bought a field, and I must go and see it. Sometimes our drive for success and our climb up the corporate ladder made us miss our appointment with God. As we are climbing the ladder of success we better make sure it’s propped up against the right building.

2. Worldly pleasures. Verse 19 “another said, ‘I have just bought five yoke of oxen, and I’m on my way to try them out. Please excuse me. “Sometimes, it seems the more we acquire the further away we get from God. Sometimes, people admit that when they had less, they loved God more. Don’t let your material possessions make you forget where all your blessings come from.

3. Relationships. Verse 20 “still another said, “I just got married, so I can’t come.’ Maybe this is why Paul said, “it’s better to be single because a single person’s mind is focused on how to please the Lord while married people are concerned about making their spouses happy which sometimes caused them to miss out on God’s invitation. When we put our significant others in God’s place it’s a recipe for a disaster because God is a jealous God and he will not share his glory with another. Our priorities ought to be a. God b. family c. work/ministry
God has invited us to be in relationship with him. He has invited us to another level of living. Many are called but few are chosen because they are full of excuses.

What’s your excuse this year for not coming to church? What’s your excuse for not getting in shape? What’s your excuse for not getting in a ministry? You don’t have an excuse for not obeying God they are all unexcused absences

Romans 1:20 for since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made so that men are without excuse.

God has shown you who He is so many times therefore you ought not have any excuses this year for missing His invitation.

Dear God,
I hear you and will be there. I will not make any excuse this year. I will be where you want me to be, nothing and nobody will get in my way. An excuse is a lie to avoid responsibility. I refuse to live a lie.

In Jesus Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment