Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Are You Interested in God or Just Paying Interest?

Luke 19:23
Why then didn’t you put my money on deposit, so that when I come back I could have collected it with interest?


Interest: 1. the state of wanting to know or learn about something or someone. 2. Money paid regularly at a particular rate for the case of money lent, or delaying the repayment of a debt.

We usually spend our time on what interests us. We get more back from an experience when it interests us. We pay better attention when something interests us. It pays off in the long run when you pursue a career that interests you and not just a job that pays you. Isn’t that interesting?

Interest is either working for you or against you. When you borrow money interest is working against you. The longer you borrow the more interest you are paying. Every time I look at the finance charge for what I’m paying my lenders monthly it makes me want to wipe out my debt that much faster and not borrow again because the borrower is servant to the lender. I refuse to be a slave!

The opposite is also true, interest can work for you when you save or invest. Wouldn’t you rather be earning interest than paying interest? Why then didn’t you put your money on deposit so that you would gain interest? Dave Ramsey’s book, “the Total money makeover” teaches people how to live like nobody else so you can live like nobody else. He teaches that we need to begin to attack our debt so we can put that money in savings and investments to earn interest.

It’s interesting that in this parable the king gives each servant three months wages to keep until he gets back. Two of the three invest and get interest back while the other one hides the money and gives the same amount back to the king. The king chastises the idle servant for not growing the money that he gave him.

One of the things Dave Ramsey suggests as the first thing to do before investing is to build an emergency savings account for three months of your salary. This is the starting place for debt freedom. The next step is to invest so the interest works for you and not against you.If you are interested in being debt free go to www.totalmoneymakeover.com/mytmmo

Dear God,
I’m interested in being the lender and not the borrower. Give me the discipline to see it through. Help me to be a better steward and to use wisely the money you give me. Thank you for your interest in me and for the deposit of the Holy Ghost which is my treasure in this jar of clay. I pray I have more to give back before you get back.

In Jesus Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment