Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Stand Still!

Exodus 14:14
The Lord will fight for you; you need only to stand still.


When I was younger and was assigned by my mother to go find something for her, I oftentimes became confused and bewildered in the maze of her closet. I would be unsuccessful especially when it was looking for something in that ‘no man’s land of a closet.” I would wander aimlessly through the house looking for what she told me to find. She would get exasperated and tell me, “just be still! Running around here like a chicken with your head cut off.” You can only appreciate this analogy of confusion if at any time you have witnessed your grandmother grabbing a chicken by its head and twirling it around in the air until its head came off. The chicken would then run around the yard with no head until it died! Then we had chicken for dinner that night.

When we find ourselves in unchartered territory and the enemy is on our trail, sometimes it's tempting to lose our heads and just start running around frantic. A wise person keeps their heads in a crisis while everyone else is losing theirs. Isaiah 26:3 says, “God will keep you in perfect peace when your mind is stayed on him.”

Moses and the children of Israel were fresh out of bondage when they found themselves at a dead end. God led them there to get some Glory out of the situation. The people were running around like chickens with their heads cut off because Pharaoh’s army was hotly pursuing them and the Red Sea was in front of them.

The people started to panic and told Moses, “Why didn’t you just let us stay slaves in Egypt? Why did you bring us out here to die?” Sometimes when we are fresh out of bondage and we struggle for the first time, what we left looks better than where we are. What’s amazing is that we forget how miserable we were in Egypt because it looks so bad where we are presently. All we have to do is to listen to Moses. Moses tells the children of Israel:

1. Do not be afraid. Fear is False Evidence Appearing Real. There is something God is trying to accomplish in this situation and the people are in danger of missing it because the threat looks more dangerous than it really is.

2. Stand firm. Have some confidence and some courage that God didn’t ‘bring you this far to leave you.

3. The Lord will fight for you. Yolanda Adams said it best, “this battle is not yours, it’s the Lords.”

4. Be Still. Quit running around like a chicken with your head cut off. What you are looking for is right there in front of you. God is a present help in the time of trouble.

Moses said, “The enemies you see today you will never see again!” Today you will see a great deliverance from the lord if you only keep still! That’s good news. God is going to deliver you today in the presence of your enemies if you just keep still. Be still and know that the Lord he is God!

Dear God,
Thank you for bringing me out of bondage. Now help me as I transition from what I’m used to, to where I’m destined to be. God make a way out of no way today. Thank you for fighting my battles when it seems I’m out numbered. I’m expecting a miracle today to get me over to where you want me to be.

In Jesus Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment