Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Shortest, Fastest or Longest?

Exodus 13:17
When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them on the road through the Philistine country, though that was shorter. For God said, “If they face war, they might change their minds and return to Egypt.”


There is a way that seems right to a man but in the end leads to destruction. Whenever I use my Navigational system, I enter my destination and it always asks me to choose my preference for my route; shortest, fastest or other. Most of the time I push shortest because I like to get there quickly but there are other times when I want to avoid traffic lights and residential obstacles and I opt for fastest.

Then sometimes "other" is a mixture of the two. When God give us our destination he has the same options. The only thing is that he adds a fourth one and it’s his choice to choose it based upon where you are spiritually. He has shortest, fastest, shorter and longest.

Shortest is when you are ready, you’ve matured in Christ and God can promote you.

Fastest is when God takes you from the back of the line to the front of the line because you have been obedient.

Other is when God takes you an unexpected route because you ran into the unexpected but you still end up in the place he said he was going to take you.

Longest is when God is trying to work some things out before your arrival.

The children of Israel had been slaves in Egypt for 430 years. Pharaoh finally relented and let them go with Moses. God was going to take them to the Promised Land; it should have taken them 4 days, instead it took them 40 years! The bible says they could have gone through Philistine country because that was shorter but instead they took the desert road because that was longer. Why did he take them the longer route? Because if they would have went to war right after slavery they might have gone back to Egypt. They were armed for war but not prepared for war. God had equipped them but not empowered them. God is not going to set you up for failure. He’s got to prepare you first.

Enroute he provided Navigational assistance. It was the first Onstar. His star was on, his presence was On. God’s presence was a cloud by day and fire by night. His presence never left them.

Then he gave them the “other” route. When they were at the Red Sea at a seemingly dead end God made a highway through the waterway. He dried up the Red Sea so the people could walk through on dry ground. Sometimes, God’s got to take you the long way and then if you get stuck he will take you the other way.

Today, don’t despair if it seems like God is taking you the long way because there is something that he is preparing you for that you can’t handle right now. Let God guide you in a New Direction!

Dear God,
Lead me; guide me, along the way for if you lead me I will not stray. Thank you for getting me where you want me to be when you wanted me to be there. I will follow you wherever you lead me, however long it takes me.

In Jesus Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment