Tuesday, April 12, 2011

There's Power in my Weakness

2 Corinthians 12:9
“My Grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in Weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.


To keep us from being conceited God allows a messenger of satan to torment us. Why would god allow that? God has to remind us that his all surpassing power we experience comes from him and not us. In other words everything we’ve been able to accomplish because of his favor and his grace is not because we were so smart or good. We need to be reminded that we didn’t get here on our own. It seems the ones God uses the most are the ones that experience the most torment. Bishop TD Jakes wrote a book called, “Why Me?! Because You’re Anointed.” The more anointed you are the more likely you are to catch hell. Paul says God allows a messenger from hell to torment you to keep you from being puffed up. The enemy has to have permission before he can mess with you.

Have you ever been tormented by something? The word torment means: 1. Great physical pain or mental anguish. 2. A source of harassment, annoyance, or pain. 3. The torture inflicted on prisoners under interrogation. There are seasons of torment when we wonder why we have to go through this as believers; it’s during these seasons that we are actually growing stronger. God’s grace is sufficient because his power is perfected in our weakness.

Like Paul, we’ve all asked God to take these tormenting thorns away from us but God leaves them there so he can perfect his power through our weakness. God remove these thoughts. God remove these haters. God remove these painful memories. God remove these proclivities. God says, “No! For when you are weak, when you are struggling, that’s when I can perfect my strength through your weakness!”

When we are weak:

We are more humble and God can speak to us with our undivided attention.
We are more alert because we are in fight or flight mode.
Our prayer life increases. Hannah didn’t get her breakthrough until she was broken and praying in the temple so hard that the priest thought she was drunk. God heard her and gave her Samuel.

God increases our anointing. When Samson was captured by the Philistines and they tied him to the grinding stone the bible says his hair began to grow back. He killed more enemies that day than he did his whole life.

God shows up on our behalf. The Psalmist says that when my enemies came in like a flood, God lifted up a standard against them.

When we are weak it helps us refocus on what’s really important.
It’s less of us and More of God.

Dear God,

I count it all joy today for my thorn. It’s actually made me a better person. I’m stronger, wiser, and better because of what I’ve been through. Thank you for your power. When I’m weak you are strong! Thank you for seeing me through my struggle.

In Jesus Name,
Amen

1 comment:

  1. Amen! This was right on time for me and my situation! Thanks

    ReplyDelete