Monday, April 4, 2011

God Made Us Unbreakable

2 Corinthians 4:8-9
We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.


It’s amazing how resilient the human spirit is. When you look at groups of people like Africans in America who survived the atrocities of slavery; Jewish people who survived the horrors of the Holocaust or the Japanese who survived an atomic bomb; The resiliency of humanity has not allowed the human race to be cut off in spite of man’s inhumanity to man. There's something God has deposited in each of us that makes us unbreakable. The Apostle Paul says that, “we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all surpassing power is from God and not from us.” The more we go through the more we realize that it’s God who’s keeping me alive.

We are unbreakable because:

1. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed. At times it can feel like the walls are closing in on us but what God has inside us can’t be crushed. Our inner fortitude will not succumb to outward pressure.

2. Perplexed but not in despair. There are things that happen that cause us to be bewildered but we never give up hope. Our ancestors had the hope of being with God forever even if their present hopes of freedom never materialized. That’s why they could sing, “Before I’d be a slave I’d be buried in my grave and go home to be with my lord.”

3. Persecuted, but not abandoned. God does not leave us in our persecution. Rather it is a sign that God is on our side. Jesus said in John 15:20 “if they persecuted me, they will persecute you also.”

4. Struck down but not destroyed. In other words, I’m down but not out. We never fail because we never give up. God gives us the ability to rise gain. Because Jesus got up from the grave we can get up out of whatever knocked us down.

Dear God,
Thank you for making me unbreakable. I’ve been through so much in my journey toward wholeness but you’ve been keeping me through it all. The more I go through on the outside the stronger I get on the inside. Restore those who are going through outward oppression and devastation. Bless the people of Haiti, Japan, Africa, Libya and Arabia. I pray you would lift the heavy yoke of injustice, pestilence, and violence off of all your children worldwide and help me to be an instrument of grace in assisting them. Help us to be unbreakable.

In Jesus Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment