Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Wind Is Against Me

Matthew 14:24-25
The boat was already a considerable distance from the land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it. During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them walking on the lake.


It stormed all night! Thunder, lightning, and high winds seem to take over the usual tranquility of the night. We had to cancel bible study because of a severe tornado warning. In the middle of the night I received a call that the burglar alarm was going off at my place of business. I had to take off driving in the middle of the night with lightning flashing, rain coming at me sideways, and the winds rocking my truck. The winds were against me.

Have you ever felt like the winds were against you? Every step of the way adversity seems to be coming against you. Alarms are going off all around you and you are heading out in the middle of a storm trying to take care of your business. Sometimes it’s surreal. You are sitting there in the midst of all that is going on and asking God, “Are you serious? You want me to keep going with all this going on in my life?” The winds are against me!

The only saving grace that you have is that Jesus sent you out there in the first place. Jesus had sent his disciples across the lake after he had fed five thousand people with limited resources. His cousin and friend, John the Baptist, just got his head cut off and Jesus was trying to get his mind right through prayer and solitude. He sent his disciples across the lake and as soon as they got half way across a severe wind storm broke out. The winds were against them.

Douglas Miller said it best in his song “My Soul has been anchored in the Lord,”

Though the storms keep on raging in my life

And sometimes it's hard to tell the night from day

Still that hope that lies within is reassured as I keep my eyes upon the distant shore

I know He'll lead me safely to that blessed place He has prepared

But if the storms don't cease and if the winds keep on blowing in my life

My soul has been anchored in the Lord.

God will never guide you where he will not provide for you and yours. Sometimes, when the winds are against you it’s a good sign that Jesus sent you. We don’t always have the luxury of having the wind at our backs but sometimes the wind is against us. The enemy knows you are trying to get to the other side of your situation and meet up with your destiny. Don’t be surprised that the winds are against you right now. What does it look like to have the wind against you? Opposition from competitors, financial challenges, relationship issues, a sluggish economy, and natural disasters.

The good news is that if God sent you he will come to see about you when the winds are against you. The bible says that Jesus came during the fourth watch of the night, that was about 3:00 am. Have you ever awakened at 3:00 am for no reason? The height of spiritual warfare takes place at 3:00 am but it’s also the time that Jesus comes to see about you. When you find yourself with the winds against you here’s what you need to do:

1. Keep rowing. The disciples were doing what their master had told them to do even though they were facing adversity. Keep rowing! It might take you longer but you’ll eventually get there.

2. Look for Jesus! They looked out in the storm and saw something coming. They thought it was a ghost but it was Jesus. Sometimes, what you think is something threatening is actually Jesus coming to see about you.

3. Talk to Jesus. Peter said, “if that’s you Jesus tell me to come out there with you.” You have to discern between Jesus and a figment of your imagination. You have to pray to make sure Jesus wants you to step out into a storm. If it’s Jesus he will keep you afloat in the time of storm. If it’s not him stay in the boat!

4. Obey Jesus. When Jesus tells you to step out, you have to obey him even though the conditions don’t look favorable. Keep your eyes on him and don’t listen to the winds. Listening to the winds instead of Jesus will cause you to sink fast.

5. Get back in the boat after Jesus picks you up from sinking. The storm didn’t stop until Peter and Jesus got back in the boat. Get back in church. Get back in ministry and watch your storms die down.

Dear God,
Thank you for sending Jesus in the time of my storm. I was afraid with the winds and waves but I felt a blessed assurance after Jesus showed up. My soul has been anchored in the Lord and even though the winds are against me, I’m determined to get to the other side. Thank you Jesus, I can see the distant shore and the breaking of a new day.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment