Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Don't Do It For Them!

Colossians 3:23

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.

"They don't appreciate me! I feel like they take me for granted! They could have at least said, 'Thank you'. People are so fickled!" Have you ever heard these laments from people who do things for people only to feel under-appreciated? We've either heard them or said it ourselves at one time or another. It's inevitable that at some point in your life when you try to help others you will feel like there is an inequity of return for what you have given out. If you are not careful you will fall into the trap of waiting on people to adequately compensate you for that which only God can fill. Even if they were to extend some kind of recompense for your contritbution of kindness, it would be fleeting to say the least because only what you do for Christ will last. Yes, you should be adequately compensated for services rendered but when you serve make sure it's for the right reason or no amount of money will satisfy when you motives are misguided.

So many people set themselves up for disappoinment because they do stuff for the wrong reasons and for the wrong people. we should do good regardless of who it is but we should never do it "for them." You should do it "for the Lord," that way if they never say 'Thank you,' if they never give you anything in return, you are still good becasue the Lord, whom you did it for, will see why you did it and he will reward you for the good you have done on his behalf.

That's why Paul said to the Christians in Collasse, "Whatever you do do it for the Lord and not for men. He went on further on what we should be doing for the Lord..."As God's chosen people, Holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another." (Colossians 3:12-13)

Today, when you decide you are going to do something for somebody, just make sure you're doing it for the Lord and not "them."

Dear God,

Help me to be a vessel you can use to bless others, knowing that my blessing will come back to me from you and not them. I have been blessed to be a blessing and that's why it's easy for me to bless people who may not even come back to say, "Thank you." My inspiration for doing good is that you have already been good to me. I will not be waiting on reciprocity, neither will I be waiting on somebody to acknowledge my good, because I have comfort in knowing that you already seen it and whatever I put out in the Universe has got to come back to me. Thank you for using me to bless them for you.

In Jesus Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment