Thursday, June 7, 2012

You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet!

You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet!

Ephesians 1:17

I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious father, may give you the Spirit of Wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.

A young man asked his father for a dollar to go see the circus that was coming to town. He had worked hard outside and in the field trying to earn money to go to the circus. He had been waiting all year knowing that the circus was coming to town. His father gave him his hard earned allowance and the boy set off to see the circus. He stood on the side of the road to see the circus. He saw the elephants go by, the clowns juggling balls, the tumblers flipping, the tall man on stilts passed by, the lions roaring in their cages, and then the last act came through at the end. The little boy went back home excited but a little disappointed. His father asked him why he was back so soon. The son explained to the father what he had seen. The father smiled at the son and explained to him that he had only seen the parade but not the circus.

In the year that King Uzziah died, Isaiah said, “I saw the Lord, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple.” God is so big that Isaiah saw the train of God’s garment and thought he had seen all of God. Even though he only saw the train he still saw enough to get him started in his ministry. We’ve all seen a little bit of God but he haven’t seen anything yet, because God wants to reveal more to us than what we’ve already experienced.

We are satisfied with seeing the parade not knowing that there is a circus God wants to reveal. We’ve only seen a glimpse of God’s Glory.

Paul says, “I keep praying for God to show you more.” We are in danger of becoming “parade Christians.” We are content in just seeing and showing enough to be entertained but not enough to be changed. We’ve lost our hunger for knowing God. Proverbs says that the earth trembles under “a fool who is full of food.”

We are in danger of getting full and missing God’s fullness. Look at Proverbs 30:8-9

Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. 9 Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’ Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.

Cross references:

  1. Proverbs 30:8 : Mt 6:11
  2. Proverbs 30:9 : Jos 24:27; Isa 1:4; 59:13
  3. Proverbs 30:9 : Dt 6:12; 8:10-14; Hos 13:6
  4. Proverbs 30:9 : S Dt 8:12

We miss who God is when we get too full of food, fun, and foolishness. You haven’t even seen your best life because you’ve been content seeing the parade not realizing that the best is about to pass you by!

How do you get to know God better?

1. Keep praying for more of God. You’ve got to press beyond the superficial and the surface. There is more of God to know and you know more about God when you spend more time with him in prayer.

2. Get more wisdom. 2 For sure, I am more foolish than any man, and I do not have the understanding of a man. 3 I have not learned wisdom, and I do not know much about the Holy One.

3. Ask God for revelation. There is a reality behind the ordinary. There is something Super behind the Natural, but we have to be hungry to see it.

Dear God,

Get me back to the place of wonderment in you. I don’t want to miss what you are trying to show me because I’m too shallow and showy. I want to know you better. I’m ready to leave the parade so that I can experience the greater revelation behind the curtain where there is the fullness of your Glory. I want to know you better.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment