Thursday, June 7, 2012

How to find Favor

How to find Favor

Proverbs 8:35 For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the Lord.

So many people are looking for a break; looking for someone to give them favor. I was watching Oprah interview Mayor Cory Booker of Newark, NJ. He is a rare kind of Mayor; a true servant leader. He moved into one of the worst housing projects in Newark to see how the people lived even though he had a law degree from Yale and as Oprah said, “could have made a Kazillion Dollars.” In one scene Mayor Booker pulls his car over and talks to a group of young black men and tells them, “I’ll make you a deal right here in front of the cameras, if you will come by my office today I will set you up with some job counselors to help you find work.” Here is Cory Booker, Yale graduate, living amongst the people for over 20 years, out in the streets, pleading with young men looking for Hope.

Proverbs 8 talks from the perspective of wisdom out in the streets crying out to whoever would listen. Wisdom says that if you find me you find favor. Favor is defined as friendly regard shown toward another especially by a superior; something done or granted out of goodwill, rather than from justice or remuneration; a kind act. Many of us are looking for favor when all we have to do is:

1. Choose instruction and knowledge over fast money. Verse 10. What I like about Cory Booker is that he took the time to get instruction and knowledge by getting a quality education. Everybody may not be able to go to Yale but we can go to a community college and get instruction. Knowledge can be gathered from books and reading articles on the internet. Knowledge is power.

2. Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. Verse 13. When we learn how to reverence the Lord and keep his word we become wiser through our obedience to him.

3. There is wisdom in wise counselors who help you make sound judgment. Verse 14. Cory Booker offered the young men access to job counselors. God puts people in place that can give us wise counsel if we would accept it.

4. Walk in Righteousness. Verse 20. God orders the steps of a righteous person. When we walk right before God he gives us favor.

5. Listen to Wisdom. Verses 32-34. Wisdom can cry out in the streets but you have to listen to what is being said. Listening is when we take what we hear and put it into action.

Dear God,

Fill me with wisdom today. I am hungry for your wisdom. I empty myself of my limited understanding and lean in your infinite wisdom. Lord give me favor today so that I can advance beyond the place where I am presently stuck. God I can’t advance if you don’t go with me. Thank you for giving my favor and making a banquet table in the presence of my enemies. Thank you for wise counselors, thank you for my education, thank you for keeping me through dangers seen and unseen. Your Grace and Mercy saw me through.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment