Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A Cut Off Notice

Matthew3:10
The axis already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce goodfruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.

One of the things that gets my attention quick is a cut off notice. There have been times when I didn’t make payment on time and the electric company sent me a cut off notice giving me time to settle my account. If I didn’t pay my debt in time they would cut off my power. You can’t see in the dark without power. You can’t cook your food without power. Your food will spoil without power. You can’t get anything done effectively without power so it's best to pay attention to your cut off notice.

God gives us cut off notices as well. When we live outside of his will he will send us cut off notices. Jesus paid our debt on Calvary’s cross but when we choose to re-establish a debt by continually living a life opposite from the redeemed life that God sacrificed for us we will find ourselves without power.

John the Baptist warned the Pharisees and Sadducees who were religious leaders that if they didn’t repent they would be cut down and thrown into the fire. More than that he said, “The ax is already at the root!” Not onlywould they be cut down they would no longer have the ability to produce. No root, no fruit!

Here’s how we avoid our cut off:

1. Pay attention to your cut off notice. God gives warning before destruction. Listen to the word of warning that God gives you through the preached word and the words of prophesy he sends through his messengers.

2. Repent! The word repent means to make a U-Turn when you see you are going in the wrong direction.

3. Produce Fruit in keeping with Righteousness. What comes out of your life must match the character of God. What you produce in your life must reflect who God is.

4. Produce Good Fruit. Your life should be edible. Your life should be a blessing to the people who need your gifts. The things you accomplish in life should make other people better. Your life should lead people back to God not stop at you.

DearGod,

Thank you for sending me a cut off notice so that I could get myself together. I want my life to be pleasing and acceptable to you so that when my life is over I can hear you say, “Well done good and faithful servant, you’ve been faithful over a few things…” Thank you Jesus for settling my account so that I will not be cut off.

In JesusName,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment