Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Don't Fall For It!

Psalm141:9-10
Good News Translation (GNT)
9
Protect me from the traps they have set for me, from the snares of those evildoers.
10
May the wicked fall into their own traps while I go by unharmed.

There are some people who would get no greater joy than to see you fall. Discernment is the ability to recognize traps before you step in them. The thing that sets humans above animals is our ability to reason when we decide to use it. Animals are instinctive and are led by their appetite and need to mate. If you want to catch an animal, then you simply put what they want in a trap and you usually can catch them.

Many of us get trapped when we are not able to live beyond our animalistic impulses and appetites. We have to be disciplined and discerning to recognize traps when we see them.

David prayed to God to keep him from the snares that his enemies had laid for him. David lived amongst his enemies, the Philistines, for a year and a half while he was on the run from King Saul. He had enemies literally all around him but his prayers were for God to keep him from getting caught up. He prayed that his enemies would fall into their own traps.

Here’s how you and I can avoid traps set by theenemy:

1. Be led by the Spirit and not your flesh. When the HolySpirit leads us, we can discern when something we want is being used to trap us in destruction. Your flesh doesn’t take into account the repercussion of participation. Your Spirit will show you the outcome before you step into something.

2. The enemy knows what you like, don’t be deceived by something that looks good. Everything that looks good ain’t good for you. Paul said, “"I have the right to do anything," you say--but not everything is beneficial."I have the right to do anything"--but not everything is constructive. I Corinthians 10:23

3. Be proactive not reactive. You have to be two steps ahead of the enemy. People will want to push your buttons but you have to anticipate the response they are trying to get out of you and beat them at their own game. Don't repay evil for evil. Don't retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God has called you to do, and he will bless you for it. I Peter 3:9

4. Learn from other people’s missteps. You don’t have to repeat other people’s mistakes. Wise men learn from the mistakes of other’s or at least they should.

Dear God,

Help me to avoid traps that have been set for me. Lead me in the path of righteousness for your name’s sake. Keep me day by day, in a pure and perfect way. Today, open my eyes so I can see any traps that have been set for me, so that I can remain free.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment